Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2010 16:00

Dell Wireless 1520 Mini Half Card Connection Problems

I recently purchased a dell studio 1747 notebook with the dell wireless-n 1520 mini half card. Recently I have been having problems with connections. I have to be right on top of the router ( within 5 feet or so) to get a good connection speed. If I go into another room on the same floor or go downstairs, the connection will drop to .5mbps or completely drop internet connection. I have 2 other wireless computers in the house and neither of them are experiencing this problem, it is just this studio notebook. This problem really defeats the purpose of wireless if I have to be within 5 feet of the router to have a decent internet connection. I have a Netgear Wireless-N Gigabit Router.

If anyone else had this problem and found a fix for it please let me know. Or if anyone could help. Thank You.

Update 4-9-2010

I just recently talked to a dell tech support agent. After an hour of trying to get this matter straight they wanted to charge me $129 to fix the problem for me. They said that the problem was my router security encryption type. I said that should have nothing to do with it. And they wanted to change the settings from WPA2 to WEP 128 bit. So i told them i would try changing the encryption type from WPA2 to WEP 128 bit. So as I was doing that the phone made the noise when you stay on the phone and the other person hangs up. Yep the rep hung up on me and guess what? The problem isnt fixed. So i give up on dell's tech support. You can't understand them and they have no clue what they are talking about. I have tried many other things like going into advanced settings and changing the antenna setting to AUX as I have read in similar forum posts and that still doesn't work.

March 31st, 2010 09:00

" cstrain10 wrote the following post at 03-30-2010 5:03 PM:

I recently purchased a dell studio 1747 notebook with the dell wireless-n 1520 mini half card. Recently I have been having problems with connections. I have to be right on top of the router ( within 5 feet or so) to get a good connection speed. If I go into another room on the same floor or go downstairs, the connection will drop to .5mbps or completely drop internet connection. I have 2 other wireless computers in the house and neither of them are experiencing this problem, it is just this studio notebook. This problem really defeats the purpose of wireless if I have to be within 5 feet of the router to have a decent internet connection. I have a Netgear Wireless-N Gigabit Router.

If anyone else had this problem and found a fix for it please let me know. Or if anyone could help. Thank You."

I VictorHugo3000 wrote"

I have the A SIMILAR  issue with my laptop a brand new Inspiron 1545 with a dell wireless card 1397 (802.11)....my Router is a Linksys Cisco WRT160N V.3.....It is a big issue with this wireless card....I have been several times within the last 24 hours  with Tech Support either at Dell or at Cisco....no explanation!!!.....My idea is that the dell wireless card 1397 (802.11)" does not support the Router "N"...... Again I only can be connected if I am at least 4 feet from the router or closed....also NONE of my other computer/Laptops have this issue...LAST WEEK We decided to BUY  and received yesterday another Dell Inspiron 1545 with the same dell wireless card 1397 (802.11), JUST TO CONFIRM.......and realized that have the same EXACTLY issue than the previous one....we are returning the last one and upgrading for a E Latitude E5400 with a Intel WIreless Card 5300 (802.11), .....my concern when I saw your post "cstrain10" was the fact that I was assuming that upgrading The Laptop (Inspiron 1545 with a dell wireless card 1397 (802.11).... with a 1520 mini half card will solve the issue ( since the 1520 will work better with my Router Linksys Cisco WRT160N V.3)  ...but now I don't know WHAT TO DO....Any savvy tech guy...Please make a suggestion....thx

2 Posts

April 13th, 2010 20:00

does anybody have any suggestions????

1 Message

May 7th, 2010 18:00

hi   yes i have just bought a new Dell laptop and getting all the same problems with the mini card; did all the usual reinstalled and updated with patches; its better but still drops out - I too have netgear which works perfectly for all PC's and laptops in the house.  I have dell desktop and never had any issues.  thinking about buying another card - all suitables ones are on the support discs with the laptop.  this will be my last dell laptop; going back to sony.

No Events found!