Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2013 01:00

Dell XPS 12 unreliable wifi/widi with intel Centrino N6235

Since day one i have had some troubles with the wireless connections on my Dell XPS 12.

The connection is extremely unreliable, it drops to 0kb/s or sometimes completely disconnects from my Netgear b/g/n router. Other devices as phones and laptops at the same time, have no issues at all. To reconnect or to get the internet signal back up and running i have to disable and re-enable the wireless adapter on my laptop or sometimes i even need to completely reboot the system.

At those times i cant even reach the wireless router from my laptop on 198.168.0.1, even though it says it has a good signal strenght.

This happens a dozen times a day.

The same problem occurs with the widi connection, it frequently drops out at the same time my wifi drops.

I've tried every bit of advise i could find out there on the web, disabling the power saving options for the wireless connection, setting my router with the optimal settings, downloaded and reinstalled the drivers from dell, the newer ones from Intel and now the latest available from intel, being 15.6.1.6. This all did not resolve the problem at all.

Please give me some decent advise or admit that the product is malfunctioning. If you search the net, it is filled with problems concerning the centrino N6235 card, not limited to the dell xps 12. I've paid a fair sum to buy this laptop and i expect it to work better then my 5 year old netbook.... but at least that one has a reliable connection.

The below screenshots show the horrible connection graph during a single file download:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 29th, 2013 15:00

Redocs,

I have read the other threads on Intel's website. The drivers I am offering are older drivers, but they worked well when I was using the adapter. From Reading the thread at Ontel's Website, it seems the issue may be with certain routers and/or WPA2 Security. I was using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings using channel 11. If you decide to try the settings, make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

Download the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 drivers and save them to your desktop.

Make a system restore point.

(Windows 8, hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time)

Start, control panel device manager, network, Right click on Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235, left click uninstall.

Restart your computer.

When you log back in, the new hardware wizard will try to install the adapter but fail. Install the drivers you saved to your desktop.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

8 Posts

March 30th, 2013 01:00

Thank you for your reply,

I've tried all of these tweaks allready with several different versions of the intel drivers, and the drivers offered by Dell.

All to no avail. I've tried every single chanel on my router, it didn't solve the problem.

I called the support help desk and they will send someone to replace the wifi card on tuesday. I hope that will solve the problems.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 30th, 2013 12:00

Redocs,

Please keep me posted.

Rick

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 15:00

I'm having the same problem, I've tried many different settings and not solved. What did improve was to use the latest version of the driver on the Intel website.
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/wireless . Is not fully resolved, is only better than before. If anyone has another solution, please post here.

Maurício

6 Posts

April 24th, 2013 17:00

I am having the same issue with my xps 12. Network just disappear, it cannot connect, etc. This is totally a headache.

8 Posts

April 24th, 2013 23:00

I have to say that after Delltried to replace the wireless card and completely reinstalled the system, they offered to take it back and fully refund me. I took that offer.

Excellent service by Dell. Too bad it didnt work out, the xps12 is a very nice laptop.

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 05:00

Redocs,

I am having the same issue with my unit that I purchased a little over 5 days ago. I have tried all the usual fixes ie dirver update, power setting, ect. ect. and frankly I'm tired of screwing around with this crap. I echo your thoughts on the fact that the Dell XPS 12 is not a budget level laptop and its not unreasonable to expect it to work properly out of the box.

Great New! I have found a solution.

Step 1.

Return the piece of crap laptop.

Step 2.

Cancel your Dell account

Step 3.

Promise yourself that you'll never do business with a company that knowingly ships a product with a major defect / design flaw.

Step 4.

Buy a Lenovo, Asus or Samsung laptop (you can add Apple to this list of OEMs making reliable machines if you aren't looking for a windows product).

Good Luck.

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 06:00

My solution

After installing the latest version of the Intel wifi driver (www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/wireless), uninstall the software/driver that keeps the wifi awake from 15 to 15 minutes when the pc is in Standby, and then install the Intel software to manage the connection (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21999, but do not allow that Windows manage it. A green icon of Intel ProSet Wireless will appear near the clock. Only it which stabilized my wireless and stopped falls. It gets out when the notebook is supended and quickly returns when wake it.

Good luck

8 Posts

May 10th, 2013 14:00

this was exactly the same for me, but sometimes that did not do the trick and only a reboot would fix it

6 Posts

Your solution worked partially, i noticed that at some points my net is refusing to connect to an access point.

the solution for me is to go to the network control panel, disable and then enable the device.

Is anyone experiencing the same behavior ? 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

The problem issue here is not with Dell, Lenovo, Asus or Samsung, the issue is with Windows 8 and the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 adapter. The latest Intel Drivers are causing problems.

Discussion on Intel's Werbsite

It seems the older drivers have a more stable connection.

Try these Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 drivers I recommend that you join the discussion on Intel's website. Maybe it will get Intel to get this corrected a little faster.

I use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings I use channel 11 and had no problems when I was testing this adapter. I even have it in different Dell computers.

Rick

23 Posts

November 6th, 2013 12:00

Good lord! Is there a freaking fix for this issue or not??? There are dozens and dozens of possible fixes but none seem to work. The only one that I like so far is having Dell service center look at it and if they cant fix it, return the XPS and get my money back. Sadly I like the XPS 12. My roommate teases me daily about this and has convinced me to go with a Mac :-/ 

2 Posts

November 6th, 2013 16:00

I returned my XPS. 

23 Posts

November 6th, 2013 17:00

Has anybody looked at or even know how easy it is to install Windows 7 on the Dell XPS 12 (touchscreen)? My Dell Latitude is running Windows 7 and it works perfectly fine! Don't be shy here people.... Dell, Windows (MS) and Intel and NOT going to fix this issue for us!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 6th, 2013 18:00

chopper69,

Page 15 in the Dell XPS-12 9q33 Owners Manual shows how to access the wireless card. Please make sure the antenna wires are on securely.

If you recently installed/reinstalled the operating system, How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

The Intel drivers should work. Intel® Driver Update Utility for wireless networking

I used these drivers, but not sure id the drivers are system specific.

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 drivers

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your network adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

No Events found!