Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2011 04:00

Dell XPS 8300 very slow network file transfer

Hi all, I have got my new brand Dell XPS 8300 / core i7 2600 / 16 GB RAM / nVidia GT420 / Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit /Network chipset: Integrated Broadcom NetLink Gigabit adapter (BCM57788)

Without any modification or additional SW setup, network file transfer to different PC or devices over a 3Com Gigabit switch (tried also other Gigabit switches) is very very slow and in any case never more than 10-12 Mb/s

tried all these tweak WITHOUT any improvement:

- disabled power management on the NIC
- forced Speed and Duplex (e.g to 100/FD)
- leaved Homegroup
- disabled autotuning level (netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled)
- disabled/enabled Offloading (v1 and v2)
- disabled/enabled RSS
- disabled/enabled RDC
- modified Jumbo frame size on the switches (NIC does not support Jumbo Frames)
- tried both Dell NIC drivers A00 14.2.0.7 or Broadcom Drivers 14.6.1.0 x64

Any idea or suggestion on what the hell is preventing the Gigabit adapter to work at its full (or at least half) potential?

Regards

Ale

2 Posts

May 20th, 2011 09:00

So, oddly enough I'm having the exact same issue with a Dell XPS L401x laptop. I don't know if it's something with my router/switch (other laptops/desktops work fine), but I'm getting transfer speeds of around 1.2MBps (10Mbps) even though the connection shows as 1Gbps. I have tweaked power settings for the NIC to no avail, and I saw this on an XPS 15 L502x as well (but that was "fixed" with a driver update; no such luck on the L401x). Here's the weird thing: the NIC is from Realtek, so either Dell has some funky firmware/BIOS code that has caused problems in several systems, or there's some other glitch going on. Not really an answer to your question or helpful, but at least let me say that I feel your frustration.

No Events found!