Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2015 13:00

Dell XPS M1530 - Windows Vista - Can't find any networks

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with an issue I have with my laptop.

About a week ago my laptop stopped finding WiFi networks. 

I've tried switching the WiFi off and back on again on there and the standard 'Diagnose why Windows can't find any networks' claims that everything is working fine.

I reset my broadband router and have also turned my phone into a WiFi hotspot, it's not picking up either (connected to both fine previously) or any other WiFi networks in the area. So suggesting it's a laptop issue, not a router problem.

I'm really not very technical when it comes to these things so I don't really know where to start on this one.

Suggestions appreciated!

6 Posts

September 4th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know that one of the IT guys at work looked at my laptop this morning and fixed the problem in about 10 minutes!

Apparently he reset the TCP/IP stack (whatever that means!).

Thanks again for your suggestions 

• 

17K Posts

August 31st, 2015 06:00

chantil,

You can click the link below for possible resolutions to your wifi issues.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/troubleshoot-problems-finding-wireless-networks

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 31st, 2015 17:00

Windows Vista is obsolete, I'd advise taking the free upgrade to Windows 10 via the Windows Insider Build 10130:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-xpvista-%e2%86%92-windows-10-free-upgrade/

6 Posts

September 1st, 2015 04:00

Thanks Philip.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how I'm suppose to download and install Windows 10.

If I did, I'm not sure how it's going to help my problem.

And thirdly, installing Windows 10 means that a critical piece of software I use will no longer work.

6 Posts

September 1st, 2015 04:00

Thanks, sadly none of those help.

As mentioned, the router is not the issue. I've also tried to network cable to the router and that doesn't work either.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 1st, 2015 07:00

As mentioned, the router is not the issue. I've also tried to network cable to the router and that doesn't work either.

I am not sure what a network cable to the router is suppose to accomplish if you are having problems with your wifi.

Are you able to get on the internet with the Ethernet cable directly connected to the router?

Also, the proper procedure is

1. power down cable modem

2. power down router

3. power down PC

4. turn on cable modem and allow it time to sync to your cable provider

5. turn on router

6. turn on PC

6 Posts

Thanks, but sorry it's clear I apparently don't know what I'm doing.

I said network cable... I probably meant Ethernet cable... I connected a cable from my laptop my router and manually added the broadband connection... which didn't work.

The router is still not the problem as I haven't been able to connect to other WiFis either. So I'm not sure whether or not I did the 'proper' procedure for my home WiFi really matters...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions but I'm giving up... I obviously need more knowledge than I have to even start trying to fix this by myself and the responses I've received have only resulted in making me feel patronised.

I'd delete my whole thread and forget the whole thing, but stupid me can't work out how.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Thanks Philip.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how I'm suppose to download and install Windows 10.

If I did, I'm not sure how it's going to help my problem.

And thirdly, installing Windows 10 means that a critical piece of software I use will no longer work.

Ignore his post. Yours is not a Windows OS problem.

He tells everyone with Vista that they need to upgrade to Windows 10.

Note that even if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 it is also not a free upgrade for someone with Vista.

Also, Vista isn't "obsolete". It is supported until April 11, 2017.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 1st, 2015 09:00

I am sorry you feel "patronized".  No one is trying to "patronize" you.

But we are not sitting there at your computer. We cannot see what you see.

The simplest thing to do may be to go to Best Buy and buy a USB wireless adapter. This may give you a fresh start.

6 Posts

September 1st, 2015 10:00

I'm sorry.  I know you were all trying to help but being told to check my router when I've already said three times that I'm fairly sure it's not a router issue, without any explanation as to why it could still be isn't helpful. I appreciate you can't see what's on my screen which is why I tried to explain what I had done and what it said which then felt like it was being ignored in responses.

I think I'm right in that I really don't have the knowledge (beyond testing a few different connections and plugging in a cable) to be able to do this myself. I don't even know what a USB wireless adapter is (though can probably guess).

One of the IT guys in my office offered to take a look so I think I'll just leave it to the expert.

Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 1st, 2015 12:00

Ignore his post. Yours is not a Windows OS problem.

He tells everyone with Vista that they need to upgrade to Windows 10.

Note that even if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 it is also not a free upgrade for someone with Vista.

Also, Vista isn't "obsolete". It is supported until April 11, 2017.

It is likely a Windows OS problem/driver issue. Given the factory image for the Inspiron 1525 will be from 2008 it is 7 years old and likely full of junk. A Clean Reinstall of Windows Vista or a reversion to factory settings will require 7-8 years of Windows updates.

Windows Vista is obsolete and its mainstream support ended in April 2012. While it does have extended support until April 2017, it has no IE above version 9 and no Office 2013/2016 support. Finally driver support for new peripherals is more or less completely dropped for Windows Vista. Most websites will tell you your browser IE9 is out of date.

Windows Vista to Windows 10130 Insider is free. Windows 10 Insider to Windows 10 Pro is also free. So Windows Vista users can get a free upgrade but only if they take the upgrade path this month. I give instructions in carrying this out here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-xpvista-%e2%86%92-windows-10-free-upgrade/

Unless your single third party program is extremely important I wouldn't recommend wasting your time diagnosing driver issues for an obsolete OS. Taking IEEE488's perspective and assuming you fix your Windows Vista note that in 1.5 years Windows Vista will reach end of extended support and it'll be an insecure OS... at this stage you will have to be very careful or upgrade. Likely there will be no means to get Windows 10 for free then.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

September 1st, 2015 17:00

You should run the network troubleshooter - right click the wifi icon in the notification area. If the troubleshooter says the wifi switch is not on or is a problem (don't remember the exact wording), you probably have a bad switch. You should move the switch off and on sharply and try again; ON is toward the rear. If it's bad, it could be replaced or bypassed with a short piece of wire; it's really not necessary.

No Events found!