Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 30th, 2003 17:00

DellTruemobile 2300 router and BT Openworld ISP

I'd welcome any suggestions on this:

Brand new Dimension 8300 and XP pro linked to a new 2300 router

How can I configure the router to recognise an internet connection through a BT DSL router (bt openworld 500/alcatel)?

1) Installation disk won't recognise a internet connection (despite the PC working fine through the router!) and won't run, so I've have had to use the web interface to get to the 2300

2) The BT router is working fine and I can direct connect any of 3 PCs to it

2) Once setup the 2300 connects and issues IP addresses to the PC and shows the connection as live (and does the same to a W2000 and W98 PC separately) even have a working wireless connection to W2000.

3) Setup up the 2300 with the settings for PPPoE with a user name and password for BT openworld, but device status shows the link as not active and internet WAN as not connected.  Similarly any PC on the 2300 is also blocked from the internet.  Any suggestions on a settings that may work? (plan was to hang 3 PCs off the 2300 as a gateway)

psI have spent hours with hours with ISP checking the setup and they suggest finding a way to turn off the firewall?  No idea how to do this for the internet connection though

795 Posts

October 30th, 2003 19:00

simon_duel,

I'm unsure what you want to do.  Do you want to connect the TM2300 directly to the ADSL modem and abandon using the BT router, or do you want to continue to use the BT router and plug the TM2300 into it and then the PCs into the TM2300.

If your answer is the latter, try configuring the TM2300 for gateway mode instead of router mode.  It will work like an access point.  The attached PCs will get their IP addresses from the BT router (so will the TM2300 if it is set to obtain an IP address automatically.  If the TM2300 has a static address, you should reconfigure it to a range within what the BT router is assigning.)

October 31st, 2003 14:00

Thanks for the quick reply Paladin.

The proposed network is to connect the 2300 to the BT DSL router and then connect all PCs to the 2300 (fixed/wireless).  Some further experimentation with the settings have now opened up the internet connection.  The problem was the type of connection selected by the 2300.  Setting the 2300 to PPoE seems to block the internet connection, leaving the option as 'cable' opens the internet connection open - no idea why.  But just in case anyone else has the same problem

S

795 Posts

October 31st, 2003 18:00

simon_duel,

Setting the TM2300 to PPPoE tells it to perform the logon function to the ISP.  Of course, that function has already been performed by the BT router.  So the TM2300 PPPoE logon fails.  Cable ISPs do not require logon - it's an always on connection.  That's why the "cable" setting worked.

November 3rd, 2003 15:00

Thanks Paladin,

That would explain it.  The BT router hasn't been setup to logon, the ISP provides login software to execute the initial login.  Once logged in the connection stays open and the solution above works.  It's a shame the Dell router doesn't show the cause of the failed connection or provide a log of what was happening.  It would have saved a lot of my time.  Thanks for the help.

Simon

No Events found!