Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DS

May 25th, 2011 18:00

Did 'clean install' on old Dell 2200 now modem doesn't, no IE

I have a Dell 2200 (obviously not the one I'm now using) that got Trojan Horse virus in the core, Win32, no program could clean it out AVG found them but said "inaccessable".  On suggestion from someone in Virus Forum I did a 'clean install' using my original XPdisc.  I now have a virgin XP system but It will not connect to IE!  This is a USB connection (there is no provision for ethernet on this machine).  I've been told I need some kind of Dell Driver to connect.  Can anyone advise me or point me in the right direction, please?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 25th, 2011 19:00

See answer below.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 25th, 2011 19:00

Download the Notebook System Software from Dell Downloads for your model. It's under System Utilities and must be installed first along with the chipset driver or the other drivers do not install properly.

May 25th, 2011 20:00

I've just been sent around in circles trying to find those downloads, I'm really lost here, tell me where to go and how to do it.  Please, before I gotta give the one I'm borrowing back.

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

May 26th, 2011 15:00

Hi Dodge.

I guess I didn't make myself clear in the other post.  To use USB directly with a cable or DSL modem,  you need to get the driver for that particular modem.  

I'll try and help you find it.  What is the make and model of the cable or DSL modem you're trying to connect to?  And who your internet service provider?  Often they have custom modems which require custom drivers.

May 26th, 2011 20:00

Man, I spent an hour on the phone between a Dell tech and my ISP tech.  Dell insisted since the 2200 had NO ethernet there was no driver available it was ISP hardware prob.  ISP insisted all is fine!!   I found 2 boxes from when this was  1st installed, one a Motorola USB install CD and the other a Harris telephone modem install.  I went thru the USB CD numerous times to no aviai, tried Harris CD once, nothing; tried again, this time I opened everything  I found and anything that mentioned USB I clicked and let run, and dog-gone-it; part way thru the 'objects' the light on the Modem flickered and I was connected!!  Immediately updated and got a virus program installed.  Currently I have a fully functional PC with Service Pak 2 and AdAware and IE 7.  I have no idea what or how I did it!  It's back and working!!

No Events found!