Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2012 17:00

Dimension 2350 and the inetrnet

Hi

I have inherited a Dell dimension 2350 and would be most grateful for some help connecting it (preferably wifi) via my Sky broadband router so that my daughter can use it in herr bedroom.

The 2350 has come with a netgear GG834G v4 modem/router and relevant ethernet/phone cables and all cds etc. and runs xp. Is the netgear now redundant?

At present, I use an old inspiron 6000 laptop with a wifi connection to Sky.

Many thanks,

Mark

September 3rd, 2012 03:00

Hi,

The dimension 2350 doesn’t come with a factory installed wireless card.If you want to use the system on wireless there are 2 options:

1. You can install a USB wireless card which can be plugged in to any of the USB ports. Driver CDs come with the card and once you install the drivers on the system, you can configure it on the wireless network you are using.
  2. Another option to make it wireless is by using PCI wireless cards which can be installed on the PCI slots in the motherboard. There are 3 PCI slots. Driver CDs come with the card and once you install the drivers on the system you can configure it on the wireless network you are using.

Please refer to the picture of PCI slots in the picture below:

Ensure you use only one router to connect the desktop and the laptop.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and Regards           
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 05:00

Hi

Many thanks for your quick reply. Very helpful and easy to understand. Excellent website!

Regards

Mark

No Events found!