Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2011 09:00

Dimension 8250 and WPA2-PSK

My main computer is a Vostro 400.  Have been using DSL for many years, but have now switched over to cable and have installed cable modem and Netgear wireless router.  I can't seem to bring my old Dimension 8250 updated with XP Service Pack 3 -- which is right next to the router -- onto the system.  I tried making a new network connection in the 8250, but it just shows the WEP key, no choice of WPA2 and doesn't even list our wireless network in the list of available networks, but it does list EVERYBODY else's in the neighborhood.  I read somewhere that updating drivers for the Intel 850E chipset would do the trick, but the chipset drivers are already "up to date," as in 2002 or 2003, before WPA2 came out.  Two other Win7 computers (HP) downstairs have connected automatically.  Anybody have any ideas?

6.4K Posts

March 11th, 2011 09:00

You probably need an update to the driver for your wireless card.  I'm running Win XP SP3 myself and know that the OS is compatible with WPA2.  For your update you need to check out the page for the manufacturer of the wireless card to see if an update exists, and download it if it does.  The chipset driver has nothing to do with wireless security.

In an extreme case you may need to replace your wireless card.  Some of the older ones won't handle WPA2, and if that is the case, there will not be an update to the driver.

If your computer is literally sitting next to the router, however, I would think that you would prefer to connect to a wired port.  It would be a faster connection and you wouldn't need to worry about wireless security.

No Events found!