Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2003 20:00

Disable/Enable Linksys wireless-g USB network adapter

I set up my router first, via a wireless connection with my laptop.  My laptop works flawlessly all the time, making a connection to  the internet every time.

My PC is a different story.   Everytime I log on to my PC I have to disable then enable my wireless connection (Linksys wireless-g USB network adapter) before it can connect to the internet via the router.  Anyone know what is going on?  How can I avoid the need to use disable/enable the adapter?

My equipment: (all 802.11g)

* Dell Dimension PC with Linksys wireless-g USB network adapter,  Windows XP Pro

* Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop with internal wireless Dell adapter, Windows XP Pro

* Dell TrueMobile 2300 Wireless Broadband Router

* DSL modem

November 23rd, 2003 02:00

I'm having the exact same problem using the TM 2300 with the Linksys wireless-g usb adapter.  When I restart the computer the wirelss network appears to be running at normal speeds, but I get no internet access.  Only when I go to network connections and disable the adapter and then re-enable it does the network show the assignment of an IP address and the internet begin to function.  Very annoying.  Anyone have an idea if there is a setting that can be adjusted to fix this?

tHANKS.

3 Posts

December 14th, 2003 18:00

Did you all ever figure this one out?  I seem to be having the same problem.

9 Posts

December 15th, 2003 15:00

I called linksys customer support about this issue.   Although they were very courteous and willing to help, they didn't have a solution to the problem.   They had me try a variety of things (different settings, re-installing, etcetera).  They finally suggested that I take it back to Best Buy for an exchange.  I don't think that would do any good so I didn't do it.   If another manufacturer comes up with a similar product in the near future, I will probably try to exchange my linksys adapter for it.  Are there any such similar products (external USB 54g adapter?)

Reinstalling the adapter and software did improve the speed.  Before, it was stuck at 1Mbps.

2 Posts

January 14th, 2005 20:00

How do you disable the adapter.  I can't get the wireless to work and when I select repair it says it cannot disable the adapter.

9 Posts

January 15th, 2005 00:00

This is how you can disable it using Windows XP:

On "Start Menu", select "Control Panel" then choose "Network Connections".  Right click on your connection and then select "disable".  It should say "enable" if it is already disabled.

2 Posts

January 15th, 2005 02:00

Is there a wireless switch on a Latitude D800 - it says I can't connect because the wireless switch might not be turned on?

3 Posts

January 11th, 2009 14:00

Did you ever figure this out?  I'm having the same problem with a desktop.  Says that the switch is not turned on.

No Events found!