Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2009 07:00

Dissapearing downloads..?

Hi there I recently purchased a studio 15 laptop with windows vista etc.

Basically whats happening is, any downloads that finish downloading just dissapear. I made sure to get rid of the download box closing when finished by clicking the little box so it wasn't ticked. But for some reason whenever a download finishes even with the box unticked the download box closes and the file that has just be DL'd is nowhere to be found on my computer. I've also had a problem where it would download the exe file and ask me to run it etc, I would click yes, run and it simply closes and goes away with nothing happening (this is referring to powerdvd dx which is installed on the computer and needs an update so i can play my blu-ray movie but it doesn't start the exe file and just stops working, thats a different story though)

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why my downloads download then close and aren't actually on my computer after searhcing everywhere for them!?

thanks in advance

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 18th, 2009 07:00

They are there but windows has some defaults like dont show files with known extensions.

Look in the downloads folder.

Turn view to windows classic then in the view for that folder say dont hide files and dont hide extensions.

June 18th, 2009 08:00

hmmm... Well I'm using IE8 and haven't downloaded anything over 2GB. Infact I don't think I've downloaded anything over 250MB.

thanks for your help but after trying that it stil isn't working. I just tried downloading something and the same thing happened?! Do you tihnk it could be to do with firewalls and such?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Files Larger than 2 Gigs wont download properly in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298618

When you attempt to download a file from the Internet by using Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) in Microsoft Internet Explorer, you may find that the download does not complete. As a result, you cannot download the file.

This behavior can occur if you try to download a file that is larger than 2 gigabytes (GB) in Internet Explorer 6 or is larger than 4 GB in Internet Explorer 7.

87 Posts

September 13th, 2009 00:00

I have had this trouble using Vista before,  are you running SP1? If not i suggest updating.  If not install windows updates as im sure this was a known Vista problem.

No Events found!