Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 7th, 2013 21:00

Drivers for dell 1525

I just recieved a new for me Dell 1525 without a HDD or OS. I found I had a Vista OS that had been installed on a 80 Gig HDD from a Toshiba. I installed it and it fired right up. However the Dell now has no recognized drivers for the VGA or th camera or the networking or wifi. Can this be rectified or do I buy a new windows 7 disc and will that installation solve the problem. Keep in mind I cant download drivers to the computer and my other computer is a MAC

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2013 05:00

Jim7345,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Drivers can be downloaded to another system if you do NOT use the Dell Download Manager.

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Rick

3 Posts

December 8th, 2013 09:00

Thanks for the re[ly. To clarify I did not reinstall the OS. Indeed I have no discs. I did have a HDD I had taken out of a defunct Toshiba with vista OS on it and installed that in the 1525. It booted up but as I mentioned it has no drivers recognizable by the dell. Indeed the system data may be from the toshiba.  Is there a fix for this or would it just be easier to buy a new OS say XP or 7?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 8th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for the re[ly. To clarify I did not reinstall the OS. Indeed I have no discs. I did have a HDD I had taken out of a defunct Toshiba with vista OS on it and installed that in the 1525. It booted up but as I mentioned it has no drivers recognizable by the dell. Indeed the system data may be from the toshiba.  Is there a fix for this or would it just be easier to buy a new OS say XP or 7?

You can't just move a HDD from one PC to another and expect it to work.

You need to re-install from Windows from scratch.

XP loses Microsoft support April 2014, so a new Windows 7 or Windows 8 license is the way to go.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2013 11:00

Thanks Lee

I have reached that understanding:O) Be gentle with me a doddering ol guy who just cobbled together what i had without knowing the in and outs as you younger more computer literate guys probably knew from 3rd grade:o) But thanks to this list and guys like you who are willing to share with the great unwashed some of your knowledge some glimmers of light sometimes escape the drawn curtains of senility and ignorance. thanks again.

No Events found!