Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2011 19:00

Dumb Questions re Wireless

I have never used wireless internet on a laptop before and am about to go overseas with my laptop. The hotel has Wifi available but I have no idea how to access it from my computer.  Is there stuff that I have to set up first or is there a program already on the laptop that I just have to run.  I have a S510502AU1-Inspiron 1545 with a Dell Wireless 1397 802.11b/g Half Mini Card. Is this all I need, what do i need to do to get this set up?

Thanks for helping out someone who knows nothing about wireless.

5 Posts

August 18th, 2011 00:00

thanks Jack that's great, I'm actually running on XP not Vista so I'm hoping it will be as easy as you say.  Will go home tonight and give it a go.  Many thanks

6.4K Posts

I'm happy to have been of help.  Best of luck to you and wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip.

6.4K Posts

I believe I can answer some of your questions, and perhaps someone more knowledgeable will pop in later.

To begin, the wireless card must be enabled, but it may be already enabled by default.  If you see an icon in your system tray (lower right corner of your screen usually) that appears to be a computer monitor with parentheses to the right of it, it is most likely already on and looking for a signal.  From your computer model you are probably running Vista, so I'm not sure how close the process will be to mine as I run Windows XP.  If my card has not been enabled I can go to the start menu, click on Show All Connections, and enable the card from there.  It can also usually be enabled from the control panel by using the Connections icon.

When your computer comes within range of a wireless signal you will normally see a message telling you that a network has been discovered and telling you to click on it to learn more.  If you do, you usually see a list of available networks.  Clicking on one of them leads to an attempt to connect.  If the network is not encrypted, connection usually occurs automatically.  If the network is encrypted you will be prompted to enter the key or pass phrase.  Once you enter the correct information, again, the connection will be made automatically.

You mentioned overseas and I've never tried to connect to an overseas network, but I know that in the U.S. most of the hotel networks are not encrypted.  This does not necessarily mean that there is nothing stopping you from getting your computer on the net.  At the hotel I normally use, I bring up my browser and click to go to a common web page such as Yahoo or Google.  My home page is blank, so this step is necessary for me.  If you have a home page on the net, as soon as your browser attempts to bring it up the hotel network will re-direct you to a user agreement.  Among other things this agreement tells you that as the hotel net is unencrypted your transmissions can be intercepted by anyone who wants to do so and has the right tools.  In order to be allowed onto the net you must agree that you understand this and will not hold the hotel responsible if you send your sensitive info over it and someone happens to see it other than the intended recipient.  Once you have accepted the agreement by clicking on whatever button they require, you will be allowed to connect to the Internet.

I've already alluded to security above, but this bears repeating:  If the hotel net is unencrypted, any unscrupulous person with the right tools can read anything you send from your computer.  Don't use the hotel network to transmit any sensitive info that you would not want someone else to see.  Stick to entertainment sites and search engines that you are using to look up items of curiosity and are otherwise unimportant.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 18th, 2011 03:00

KerrRhys,

In addition to what Jack stated, sometimes the wireless card might have a small issue connecting. Right click on my computer, left click properties, hardware, device manager, network 1397 adapter, advanced. Change the antenna diversity from auto to aux, if you have any problems.

Have a safe trip,

Rick

5 Posts

August 18th, 2011 21:00

Thanks guys i appreciate the support, I'm going to take my computer to the library this weekend as it has a wifi hot spot and try it out.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 18th, 2011 22:00

KerrRhys,

Computer connects at a wifi hotspot, then that means the computer is working properly. Then it comes back to the router and/or it's settings.

Keep us posted.

Rick

5 Posts

August 19th, 2011 22:00

Well the network appears and says it connected by it won't bring up the library's log on page and therefore when you try to bring up an internet page it says it can't because its connected to the network but not to the internet???

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2011 23:00

KerrRhys,

Also start, conteol panel, Internet options, connections, LAN settings. Check the top box, automatically detect settings

Try start, control panel, networking and sharing center, click on you network connection. Click on properties. Look for TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6. Click on properties and make sure the settings match the picture below.

Rick

5 Posts

August 21st, 2011 23:00

Hi guys, with a bit of mucking around it worked!! YA, ended up having to do all of the above plus there was a section that wanted to connect to a proxy server which I turned off and finally after doing that it all worked.  Really appreciate all the advise, would never have worked it out by myself.  Heading overseas tomorrow and hopefully will have full access while I'm away.  Once again many thanks, this is the most helpful forum I've ever used.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2011 12:00

KerrRhys,

Let us know how things work out for you. Have a GREAT time.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!