Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2006 15:00

Ethernet adapter question

I have a router that has only one ethernet port and at the back of my computer i have only one ethernet slot, that is used to go on the internet(router to computer via ethernet wire), i also have xbox live and if i want to go on that i use the ethernet wire that i use for the internet.(i connect to xbox live by ..router to xbox).

I cant go on the internet if im on xbox live.

Will a USB ethernet adapter solve the problem if i use another ethernet wire going from the adapter to the xbox while the other ethernet wire is connected via router to computer to go on the internet as described above ?

Message Edited by mikomi on 07-20-200611:46 AM

5 Posts

July 20th, 2006 16:00

Even though the ethernet adapter would be slower, will it still work as asked in my earlier question post ? because im sure i dont have any extra ethernet slots in the back of my computer.

Message Edited by mikomi on 07-20-200612:19 PM

565 Posts

July 20th, 2006 16:00

This is a little hard to comprehend as I think your english is a little poor. But I'm going to try and help you the best I can.

You have a Router with 1 ethernet port on it?
( I'd suggest getting a new router, cause a router usually has 4 ports atleast. )

Now, if you have a router with 1 Uplink "slot" ( where the router connects to the cable modem. ) It should have a few more "slots" for other ethernet cables, and if you plug 1 into your computer and 1 into your xbox it should all work fine.

And as for the USB Ethernet, I would never use that, I find it slower than a regular Cat5 ( ehternet ) cable.

5 Posts

July 20th, 2006 18:00

plz someone reply to my question

565 Posts

July 20th, 2006 19:00

Is your computer connected directly to the cable modem? or is there a router in the mix?
No Events found!