Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2003 08:00

Fax in Dimension 4600

Have Dimension 4600. This question only concers the fax, which worked OK on narrow band connection but since broadband connected the fax doesn't work. Server tells me I need new software. Anyone know what's best. I have the BT voyager broadband modem which sits externally, connected to a USB port

28K Posts

November 15th, 2008 00:00

Are you aware that FAX is a telephone technology and requires a telephone line plugged into a modem?  Broadband is not based on the telephone, is internet only, and has nothing to do with FAX because FAX has nothing to do with the internet.  Do you still have a telephone line plugged into the FAX modem port on your computer?

(1oth attempt at posting this)

Steve

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 15th, 2008 08:00

Faxing, using your computer/printer, requires you to use an analog line, one that has a dial tone. If you have DSL, yes you can still fax.

Your setup should look like...

wall > ISP Modem/router > wireless router > wired/wireless

If using DSL, DSL Filters must be on all devices, phones, answering machines, faxes, etc., everything except the DSL Modem/router itself. You may share a DSL Filter.

wall > DSL filter > splitter > multiple devices

If using cable broadband, you must use some type of third party software so send and receive faxes.

No Events found!