Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2009 14:00

File Sharing on XP on home network

I've been sharing the "My documents" folders on three Dell computers (all with XP) for years with no difficulties using my Dell TrueMobile wireless router.  Now only my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop shared "My Documents" folder does not show up in My Network Places.  I've gone to My Documents Properties on the laptop and made sure that "Network sharing and security" was set correctly (share this folder on the network).  The share name now is not the one I gave it and appears just as My Documents.  I am unable to change the share name.  The My  Documents folder shows as being shared (the hand is underneath the folder) but it does not show up in My Network Places on the other two computers. When I try and access the folder from another computer I get the message "Not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permjission"  The network path was not found. I don't know why this just started happening and there are hundreds of answers on the Internet but they are way over my head.  I would sure appreciate any help.  Thanks in advance.

Hillhopper

19 Posts

October 30th, 2009 08:00

I was able to solve my own problem.  It turns out it was the Windows XP Firewall.  I didn't consider that because it had been working correctly for three years with the firewall enabled.  As soon as I turned it off the laptop appeared on My Network Places on my other computers.  What I still can't figure out is why the laptop Windows Firewall would suddenly start to be the problem.  But, at least the problem is solved and my laptop now appears on the home network of both of our other computers.

No Events found!