Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2004 01:00

Found New Ethernet controller

I am having problems with the driver for the ethernet card. The computer is a dell dimension L1000R. I already tried the three links in the website and I still can't recognize the card.

Does the download required something special to be done during installation? The driver is so old that is NOT easy to use.

Please help.

4.4K Posts

August 31st, 2004 02:00

fdrnow,

What operating system is your L1000R running? Did you reinstall the operating system? If not, when did the problem begin?

What file did you download? What problems did you encounter after you downloaded it?

Jim

6 Posts

August 31st, 2004 14:00

I had to re-install the OS. Now has win2000

I installed the following three drivers from the website 3COM, the NIC and also the diagnostic. After I unzip the files a dell directory is created for each download. I run the installer and does nothing.

Suddenly when I start the computer the OS detects new HW I make it point to find it in a specific directory (wich is c:\dell\driver\...) and the wizard never takes it. Ending up saying that the hardware was not recognized.

The wizard seems to do something and gives you some intructions in the internet explore about the adapter but I can't find the adapter that is mentioned in the instructions.

Can you tell me which of the trhee drivers is the one that belongs to my system.

Thanks in advance for your help.

4.4K Posts

August 31st, 2004 15:00

fdrnow,

This is strange...I downloaded the file Z9654T00.EXE, and looked at its contents with WinZIP. Windows 2000 isn't mentioned anywhere! That makes me wonder if this is the right file for Win2K! It's certainly the only one offered for the L____r Dimensions!

The HTML file doesn't help - all it says is "This program will download the 3Com EtherDisk 5.04 network drivers to your computer. Please refer to your user’s manual for installation instructions.". Right...

Is that the file you downloaded? If it is, you may need to see if you can find the Win2K driver at 3COM.

Jim

6 Posts

August 31st, 2004 16:00

Yes I also download the 3COM driver offered in the dell website. I just got the html screen with the text that you just mentioned.

Does anyboy knows the specs for the ethernet card so I can look for the driver. Thanks.

No Events found!