Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2006 23:00

Good signal strength, but limited or no connectivity

I have a wireless card in my inspiron 8600 laptop and have never had a problem connecting to my home internet until a few days ago. Now under my wireless connection icon it says the signal strengh is good but the status says "limited or no connectivity". There is also an exclamation point next to the icon. Please help!

28K Posts

May 25th, 2006 03:00

To troubleshoot the problem, try connecting with a wired ethernet connection to the router.  If this doesn't work either, then try downloading and running winsockfix for Windows XP from the Here.  If you can connect by ethernet, then the problem lies elsewhere.  Post back with the result and we can go from there.

Steve

3 Posts

May 25th, 2006 16:00

I have the similiar issue. Although it does work/connected using LAN connection cable BUT as for my wireless, still does not work/connect. Problem may be elsewhere but I'm at a dead end. Please help.

26 Posts

May 25th, 2006 17:00

Just a quick question, I have the same type problem , but mine has to do with the key number used with WEP ( not the code) Wep on my router makes up 4 codes - each one has a key number 1> 4 . When setting up my link - I put the code in when windows or intel ask for it , then i have to go in the advance setting tab to change the key number to match what code I put in!

Ken

1 Message

May 26th, 2006 18:00

I have the exact same problem with my wireless card on my Inspiron 8600.

- Good signal stength on the wireless

- packeg loss by pinging my Gateway (near to 95%, same problem when pinging from router to PC)

- right clicking the wireless network connection and choosing repair network connection allows a few pings to the GW, but by the time the fix is done the ping to the GW is blocked again. Seems to me there is a service somwhere that causes the problem...?

- Pinging other machines on the network goes fine (no packeg loss at all, and I can exchange files)

- I have one other wirless pc on the network (no problems at all)

- I have spent hours trying to figure out the problem, so today I got fed up and reinstalled windows, but the problem remains.

No Events found!