Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

April 28th, 2013 23:00

Having major wireless connectivity issues on my brand new alienware m17x

I just got this laptop on the 24th. It was working absolutely fine until today. Starting today it has had trouble maintaining a wireless connection for more than 20 minutes at a time. This gets really frustrating while I'm trying to game online. It has an Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230. None of the other computers in my house are having connectivity issues, and they are not losing connection when I am. I am in the same place in my house I have always been, there really should not be any internet problem here. I have updated all my drivers and checked many times if i have missed any. It disconnects when i have an Ethernet cable plugged in as well (although less often). Can someone suggest some solving ideas? I'm really at a loss. There is no way I'm keeping a 2grand+ laptop if i cannot get a solid internet connection!

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 29th, 2013 04:00

Hi notespeller2,

It can be frustrating when the wireless disconnects frequently. I suggest you to update the wireless drivers by downloading them from the following link after punching the Service Tag:
http://dell.to/QjjZDA

You will also need to configure the wirelesss card Roaming Aggressiveness by following the steps provided in the link below:
http://dell.to/11NKiZe

Please let me know about your findings.

May 12th, 2013 23:00

Neither of these have solved the issue. 

Here is an update on the situations:

The wireless in my house is now disconnecting everyone, but only if the wireless on my laptop is on. If i turn it off and plug in an Ethernet cable the internet behaves just fine. We have replaced both the router and the modem since the problem arose. Sometimes the internet works fine for a few days then one day it'll disconnect 5 times within 20 minutes. It's just so unexpected and hard to test what the problem is at this point.

My dad suggested I might have a virus that is affecting the wifi connections, but I've never heard of such a thing. Are there viruses/malware that behave like that? I've scanned my computer using the provided McAfee and with Malwarebytes and both were completely clean. Would a system reformat be necessary? I've heard that McAfee causes a lot of problems these days. Should I uninstall it to see if that changes anything? I have an active subscription with Norton if that may be the case.

My dad also thinks i may be transmitting a wireless network from my laptop that is conflicting with our current network. There are a lot of networks my laptop is detecting, but i don't see the one he says is new. It is ROLL OFF if that means anything to anyone out there. Is there a way i can test this or turn this off if it is happening?

I have asked my dad many times to change the channel on the router, but he refuses saying that is not the problem.  We have talked to our ISP and they said the problem is on our end and they cannot do anything about it.

Is it possible that I have been given a faulty wireless card? If so, how do I go about getting a replacement for a factory defective part?

I saved my money for a long time for this laptop and I'm becoming very frustrated and upset with this situation. So far this is the only problem i'm having with my laptop and I'll be very sad to have to return it. 

May 13th, 2013 19:00

also it takes a long time for my laptop to connect to the wireless when the computer is powered up.

1 Message

November 26th, 2013 19:00

I just got my new Alienware17 recently.. I have the same problem... My roommates have Alienwares as well but they don't have the same problem as me... They get occasional lag spikes, but I get constant disconnects..

1 Message

April 27th, 2014 14:00

Did you find a solution ? my Alienware laptop has after a years good service started to behave just like decribed here. Would love an solution.
No Events found!