Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

May 9th, 2009 20:00

Having problems with Internet connection

Hello, everyone:

I have a 4 1/2 year old Dell Dimension 3000, which has provided flawless service since I've had it.  Unfortunately, I've encountered some problems recently with my internet connection.  I have recently stopped using Norton Internet Security, and switched over to AVG Free.  It worked fine for about a month, but now I'm getting all kinds of weird problems popping up with my Internet connection.  For example, I can connect to the Internet using IE, but not Firefox.   Now, I've uninstalled AVG, because I've read enough about it screwing up stuff on your computer that I'm having second thoughts.  So, I try to download McAfee from my ISP (Comcast), and I get an error message that I have no Internet connection (which is strange, since I'm on the web to get to the file).  So, I ran the Windows connection test, and I get the following message:

Last diagnostic run time: 05/09/09 22:33:08

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection
info Using home Internet connection
info Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an FTP connection.

Any ideas out there as to how to straighten this out?  I'm just about at my wit's end.  

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 10th, 2009 05:00

First, if you had Norton to start with, even though you uninstall Norton using the Windows Uninstall a Program (or the Norton uninstall) Norton will still leave bits of the program.  Norton has a program that is supposed to "clean" the system and remove all traces of it, but it doesn't and in some cases the only way to completely remove Norton is unfortunately a complete reinstall (if Norton is affecting the new Antivirus Program). 

I know a lot of people, including some of my clients that I support, that are using the AVG free without problems, so not all are having problems with it. 

As far as connections, if you are connecting to the Internet OK and only that one site is having problems, it's most likely the site and not you. 

However, one thing to check is the Firewall(s).  You should only have one Firewall, either the Windows Firewall or the Firewall that many Antivirus/Security programs provide.  If you have both the Windows and the Security package Firwall's enabled there can be conflicts and even internet access problems.

Being able to connect with one Browser or Program and not another can be caused by a Firewall (program has not been authorized in the Firewall).  This MAY be the FF problem. 

2 Posts

May 11th, 2009 07:00

It would do for you to attach your HDD to a second system and do a thorough virus scan. The part where IE works and firefox doesnt reminds me of a recent worm infection I had seen. See if it works after that.

regards

No Events found!