Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2009 18:00

Help! Can't connect to the internet after reinstalling Windows xp

My windows xp on my laptop inspiron 1150 began to act weird so I decided to to reinstall it to fix it. (I've done this before on another computer and it worked fine.) The installation went well but then afterward everything was wrong. My screen resolution was way too big and I can't change it. I can't connect to the internet either. I heard people talking about I need to install drivers but which ones? Also, will windows vista work on my laptop?

27 Posts

January 8th, 2009 19:00

Just go to http://support.dell.com/ 

click drivers

enter your model

download video drivers and ethernet/wireless drivers.

Elaine,

Try to refer from  Learn More About Drivers 

This link will tell you more about the sequence to install your drivers. Then you follow the steps from jlfrank21

BTW, your Inspiron 1150 is not built for Vista. You may install Vista but you can't find standard drivers from the Dell Website.

Suggestion : 1. Install and use XP

2. Contact Dell Tech support request for your detailed hardware list manufacturer info and download 3rd party software.

Regards,

MyBesteffort - 10%

6.4K Posts

The drivers for the Inspiron 1150 are here:  Inspiron 1150 Drivers.

You must install the Dell Notebook System Software (located in System Utilities) and the Intel Chipset driver first and in that order.  Dell suggests that these be followed by the sound driver, video driver, network (Ethernet) driver (Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller), modem driver (if you have a modem), wireless LAN card (if present) and Synaptics pointing device driver.

For the 1150 you need to determine which video adapter you have before attempting to install a video driver because there are two possibilities.  You may be able to get a hint by looking at the invoice if you still have it, or go here, Warranty Status, clicking on the Original System Configuration tab, typing your service tag number in the box, and you will see an abbreviated list of the original configuration.  Hopefully that will give you a hint of whether to use the Intel Extreme Graphics 855 GM or the Intel Graphics Technology 830 M driver.

You will also need to determine the model of your wireless adapter.  There are several driver files to choose from and hopefully your list will give you a clue for that as well.

Vista is not likely to run well on this machine as it doesn't have sufficient resources.  Also, Dell doesn't support Vista on the 1150, so you would need to hunt for drivers at the vendors' web pages.

Edit:  Corrected to make link work.  Apologies for that.

8 Posts

Just go to http://support.dell.com/ 

click drivers

enter your model

download video drivers and ethernet/wireless drivers.

1.7K Posts

January 9th, 2009 11:00

Others have correctly posted the link to the drivers on the Dell support site, so I thought I'd add the list of drivers and the order they should be installed onto the system.  The latest version of each should be on the support site.

• Dell Notebook System Software
  • Intel Chipset driver
  • Intel 82855GME video driver
  • SigmaTel STAC 9750 audio driver
  • Broadcom 4401 Integrated Controller driver (LOM) (network)
  • MDC driver (modem)
  • Wireless MiniPCI driver (if customer has a device)
  • Synaptics touchpad drivers

1 Message

May 9th, 2009 11:00

The same thing happened to my computer but how can you go to http://support.dell.com/ if your internet is not working?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 9th, 2009 14:00

airadam1,

Use the computer you're posting on and download then. Then burn them to a disk or put them on a flash drive. You should be able to use an ethernet connection to connect, in most cases. There should have been a drivers disk that came with your computer.

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first, then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

4 Posts

May 12th, 2009 12:00

why is there not a list included with our driver software to make one aware of this magical order? not everyone has access to multiple pc's, and i'm sure there are people out there pulling their hair out wondering why drivers aren't installing properly- completely unaware of the magical order to make them work properly....

No Events found!