Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2010 20:00

Help: XPS M1330 - Wireless Radio Disabled

I have a Dell XPS M1330 with a 1505 Draft 802.11n wireless card running Vista Home.  When I was in Australia, I used a wireless stick (USB internet key: E1553 model) from Three.Com.au to access the internet.  Now the radio on my wireless card is disable and I cannot re-enable the radio.

I tried everything to try re-enable the my wireless card via Control Panel, WiFi button, run Dell Wirelss WLAN Card Utility, and even de-installed the Three.Com s/w.  I could not add any wireless network because the radio is disabled and can't see any wireless points.  I could browse wireless point for Three.Com wireless points because it is using the USB wireless stick.  Here is my h/w and s/w wireless information:

Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n

s/w version 4.170.77.13 (5/22/2008)

driver version 4.170.77.3 (3/21/2008)

supplicant version Dell EAP-TTLS 4.170.77.13 (status ok)

I am thinking about de-installing the Three.Com wireless s/w that was installed on my XPS, then go to Dell's website and download and re-installing the wireless driver for my wireless card.  Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions on how to get my inbuilt wireless card to start browsing for wireless points?  When I look at Dell's drivers, my driver has a later release date than the one offered by Dell (very strange).  I also have the dvd disc that supposenly has all the softwares and drivers installed on my XPS M1330, but I don't feel confortable re-installing the wireless driver unless I got some installation notes on what steps must be taken to do this.  Wonder if I ran the script for the dvd drivers, will it allow me to "select" the driver for the wireless card and ignoring everything else? 

Are there any detail instructions on what steps I need to do to re-install the drivers (and/or other software) to enable radio on my wireless-n card?

269 Posts

February 26th, 2010 12:00

Is your system telling you the wireless radio is turned off or that another application is controlling the wireless?  If it's the latter, you may be able to simply enable the Wireless Zero Config service (called WLAN Auto Config in Win7) by opening the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.  Scroll to the bottom of the list of services and you should see something like either of the above.

If it's "disabled" you can double-click on it to open the properties, select the startup type of "automatic", then click OK to save the changes and reboot your laptop.

3 Posts

February 26th, 2010 21:00

Thanks for the tip, I didn't think about looking to see if the wireless service was automatically started.  Since I am running Vista Home, is the Wireless Zero Config service called the same as in Win7? 

No Events found!