Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2008 02:00

Help after format please !

Hello,

I have decided to join the forum.

I recently formatted my dell d600 laptop it is a 1.6 processor.

I have no internet and have downloaded and installed all the drivers i think are the right ones but it still has yellow icons aginst three items in the device manager.

thing is this, I cant decifer what the parts are to get the correct drivers and your site is very difficult to get anywhere.

If anyone can offer help it would be greatly appreciated so hopefully thanks in advance.

1.8K Posts

December 8th, 2008 06:00

Dell Intel device drivers are proprietary and require a specific installation order. See here.

Reformat and reinstall Windows on your hard drive. Then, reinstall drivers in proper order and see if that fixes the issue.

17 Posts

December 8th, 2008 07:00

chillipop-to diagnose this, you would need to tell us what the icons are that are yellow. What category and info is associated with them? With what you have provided, little can be offered. 

1.7K Posts

December 8th, 2008 11:00

The full list of XP drivers for the D600, in the order they need to be installed, are as follows:

• Dell Notebook System Software
  • Intel Mobile Chipset driver
  • ATI Mobile Radeon 9000 video driver
  • SigmaTel STAC 9750 audio driver
  • O2Micro 02711EC1 PCMCIA/SmartCard controller driver
  • Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller driver
  • MDC driver
  • Wireless MiniPCI driver (if customer has a device)
  • Wireless Bluetooth (if customer has a device)
  • Alps touchpad drivers

If you leave off the Notebook System Software then XP won't be able to talk correctly to all the hardware.

6 Posts

December 9th, 2008 04:00

thanks a lot guys its been a while since i did a format, will be doing it tonight will post sucess

6 Posts

December 9th, 2008 18:00

Hi right well that hasnt worked yet !!!

the yellow signs i still have now are for :-  Network Controller and Ethernet Controller, apart from that the grafix are great and everything else seems ok, I must have missed something but am unsure which ones they were it did take a very long time.

3.4K Posts

December 10th, 2008 05:00

Hi right well that hasnt worked yet !!!

the yellow signs i still have now are for :-  Network Controller and Ethernet Controller, apart from that the grafix are great and everything else seems ok, I must have missed something but am unsure which ones they were it did take a very long time.

Hello,

I will post the updated install order list. It should get you up and running if you follow it completely. Please note the safe mode requirement if you had already installed some drivers before The system software and chipset software.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed. If your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

1.7K Posts

December 10th, 2008 08:00

chillipops, if you PM me your service tag (do not post it) I'll be happy to look up the hardware it shipped with and send you the list.

6 Posts

December 10th, 2008 08:00

Hi and thanks,

the Dell site dosn`t recognise my service tag hence my problem, i dont know which ones I have missed i will try again tonight but am not on net where the pc is located.

again thanks

6 Posts

December 10th, 2008 13:00

as far as I can tell I have done everything as instructed, still no working network or ethernet connection, I had tried using "sis-sandra" to find devices.

4.6K Posts

December 11th, 2008 10:00

Are you still seeing yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

Have you tried using the 'Update Drivers' option for each device, and using 'Browse' to direct it to wherever you downloaded the various drivers?

Have you PMed Larry your Service Tag yet?

He's going to tell you exactly what hardware your system shipped with, so you'll know what drivers are required :emotion-55:

In the meantime, you can download all the latest drivers off the main Latitude D600 'Drivers & Downloads' page.

Just remember to choose the appropriate OS first.

6 Posts

December 21st, 2008 03:00

yes i did pm larry but no answer and am not certain I was properly logged on I did it yesterday

1.7K Posts

December 25th, 2008 15:00

I've been on my holiday break until today.  You send me the Windows Product Key, from the looks of it.

4.6K Posts

December 27th, 2008 10:00

Assuming they're all the same, your 'Service Tag' will be a combination of 7 letters and numbers - for instance AB12C34 Chillipops :emotion-55:

No Events found!