Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2007 01:00

Hotel's wifi not detected by Internet Explorer

I own an Inspiron 2200 w/ 1370 WLAN mini-PCI...at two hotels w/ wifi available I was able to connect to the wifi, but not to the internet. I have read through the other posts with no success. I have attempted the following:
1. disabled firewall
2. checked 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings'
3. disabled  Data encryption under wireless options 'connections'

I knew that I was connected to the hotel's wifi service because...
1. I started by viewing available wireless networks. The hotel (Comfort Inn) instructed me to choose the SSID comfortinn...which I did. Under this SSID properties I disabled the data encryption under the Association tab (I believe that was also in the instructions).
2. The computer connected to the SSID successfully. The bars were full, the computer said it was connected and the amount of data received and sent was shown.
3. When I opened Internet Explorer it kept trying to connect by dialup. It was like Internet Explorer didn't have a clue that a wireless network was available. So...I didn't get a chance to enter any user name or password provided by the hotel. I tried choosing 'Never dial a connection' under the Internet Options 'Connections' tab. That didn't help either. IE would just say that the webpage could not be displayed and it took me to working offline.
In some of the other posts statements were made about wifi connections not actually connected to the internet (not pinging???). I do not know if that was the fact for each of my attempts. However, I did try multiple wifi spots that were detected by my computer...and...no luck.
I'd appreciate any help on this matter! Thanks in advance...
Tod

8 Posts

June 28th, 2007 02:00

Thank you for the reply~
1. OS = Windows XP
2. Neither the IP nor DNS were set to automatically detect the addresses...I've changed that setting now.
3. Firewall software...just the basic Windows Firewall. It is turned off at the moment...is that a smart thing to do while trying to get onto hotel wifis?
    Crud...looks like I have Norton Internet Security Firewall software too. I turned off Windows and turned on Nortons.

I'll go down to the library and try to connect with the new settings as soon as I hear back about the firewall question. Thanks again.
Tod

Message Edited by TodHH on 06-27-2007 11:03 PM

1.8K Posts

June 28th, 2007 02:00

Which operating system are you using on the 2200? Check the Properties of your wireless connection to make sure that the TCP/IP properties are set to acquire the IP and DNS addresses automatically? What firewall software do you have on the laptop?(Windows and others)

Message Edited by MRF4700 on 06-27-2007 08:40 PM

1.8K Posts

June 28th, 2007 03:00

Since WiFi, or public hotspots are not secure networks. It's advisable to have a security firewall enabled before connecting to one. You will have to configure the firewall to allow each public spot access to your computer.(whenever an alert window does not pop-up asking for permission to allow access)

8 Posts

Thanks for the reply!
I've had neither Windows nor Norton firewalls running.
Norton is purchased and does not expire for awhile.
Should I have the firewall up and running before getting onto a wifi address?
Is there anything special to configure Norton (if I need it up and running during wifi connections) to allow network/internet connections?
Thanks,
Tod

1.8K Posts

Is the Norton trialware? If it is, and you've had it longer than 90 days it'll have expired. If the Norton and the Windows firewalls have both been running that could be the source of your trouble. Choose one or the other, but not both! If you haven't already done so, you'll need to configure the one you choose to allow for network and internet connection...

8 Posts

June 28th, 2007 05:00

Thanks again. I'll try the library with Norton's firewall and the IP/DNS options set to automatic and will repost with the results.
Tod

14 Posts

June 28th, 2007 21:00

I'm sitting in a Motel right now and had the problem you described. I finally tried going to network connections and selected the wifi connection. The laptop  "knew" the network was there but had not connected. I hit the connect button and away it went.  I had to do this each time I turned the laptop on.
Hope this is helpful.

Rogar

1.8K Posts

June 30th, 2007 03:00

Happy to help...

8 Posts

June 30th, 2007 03:00

IT WORKED! I changed the properties of my wireless connection so that the TCP/IP properties were set to acquire the IP and DNS addresses automatically. When I tried to connect to a local wifi it worked great! I will attempt to connect at the hotels (which I could not get IE to work with) on our next stay and will post the results.
Thank you to MRF4700 and everyone else in this community helping those of us without a clue!
Tod
No Events found!