Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 6th, 2013 08:00

How do I Identify my Wireless Card and Driver?

Open Device Manager

Press [Windows] and [Pause|Break] or right click Computer and select properties. On this screen select Device manager (to the left).

Note if the processor is Intel or AMD which will correspond to the mainboard.

The device manager Windows will open:

Expand Network Adapters. If the Wireless Card is identified its name will be shown under Network Adapters.

If it is not identified you might have an unknown device for example: 

• "(?) Network Controller"

In order to identify the device, right click and select properties. Select the details tab and the select Hardware Ids under properties:

A large number of common hardware ids in Dell systems are listed on Dell Unofficial Driver Sets - Dell Wireless Cards.

On this page press Ctrl and f to bring up the search within Internet Explorer or your preferred browser:

If your hardware ID is listed you should be able to identify your wireless card. Install the driver listed on Dell Unofficial Driver Sets - Dell Wireless Cards for your Operating System or get the driver Dell list for your model on the Dell FTP Website.

If you are looking for an Ethernet Controller it won't be listed on this page but you can get the driver Dell list for your model on the Dell FTP Website as few models have variants of Ethernet Controller.

Note Dell Unofficial Driver Sets - Dell Wireless Cards is not yet complete and may not list the hardware ID for every wireless card. In addition if drivers for other devices aren't installed they might also show up as a unknown device.

Before installing the driver for the wireless card or Ethernet controller ensure that the following prerequisites are installed otherwise functionality may be hindered:

• Windows 7 → Service Pack 1*  → Dell System SoftwareIntel Chipset Software Installation Utility**

• Windows 8 →  Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility**

Failure to install the above prerequisites before the wireless driver may result in impaired functionality

* May be included on your installation media already.
** Intel Systems Only ↔ Go to Computer and Properties and check if the Processor is Intel. If the Processor is Intel install Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility.

8 Posts

April 9th, 2014 09:00

If your computer is stock you can just put in the service tag at support and go to original configuration. Your card will be listed.  I had never ending problems with the card supplied with my Dell XPS 502. It was simply a lousy card I stuck ann old card I had lying around, now it works flawlessly. I dont know what happened to Dell. My Inspiron 6000 was a great Laptop, this XPS has a lot of drawbacks, like 2 USB ports. Stick in a wireless mouse and you have 1 left. Terrible design. You need at least 2-2's and 2-3's IMHO.

If you are having trouble with your wireless, its probably the card. Dirt cheap on ebay.

May 14th, 2014 11:00

I am facing problems in my Wifi adapter from many days.It was working fine Dont know what happened..and I have tried system restore(failed multiple times), Dell factory restore, manual installation of DW WLAN CARD from both my CD and Dell support site. I am running a Windows Update right now and Windows 7 Service pack 1 x64 KB976932 is being downloaded, which is of 87.2 MB. however on the link you posted above for Service pack 1 the update is of around 5 GB. Do I need to download only the service pack from my windows update or everything that comes with it on the windows website link?

1 Message

June 19th, 2014 01:00

hi you can hardwareids find direct corresponding driver information, perhaps you can help, this site contains all hardwareidshttp:/binarydb.com/hardware/" title="Hardware ids" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"> http://binarydb.com/hardware/

4 Posts

July 6th, 2014 03:00

My Dell latitude was so messed up with malware,ad-ware and god knows and slow as a turtle, so i reinstalled wi7, knew i would lose internet maybe sound but its back running fast . . But i did it anyway. Internet not working wireless or Ethernet cable, but i just stuck in a live USB stick and run UbuntuStudio , it makes everything work automatically. Ive downloaded what files from dell I think will fix up the laptop when running widows but Im happy right now to leave it for awhile.

August 24th, 2014 11:00

Wireless stoped working suddenly, Wireless sign had disappeared, then I got it back by installing it from (Network Controller) In Device Manger ... But after 2 days the same thing happened again,But then I couldn't find the (Network Controller) In the device Manger .
How can I get it back??!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 31st, 2014 05:00

Wireless stoped working suddenly, Wireless sign had disappeared, then I got it back by installing it from (Network Controller) In Device Manger ... But after 2 days the same thing happened again,But then I couldn't find the (Network Controller) In the device Manger .
How can I get it back??!

Model of system and version of Windows? Have you toggled the wireless switch on and off, usually Fn and F2.

August 31st, 2014 07:00

Its windows 7  32 bit , and I've tried to turn the wireless on but the problem is not in the switch ... The wireless mark is not showed down in the taskbar, and in device manger - network adapters, there's no wireless adapter installed .. and I've downloaded many installations but non of them worked! 

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 00:00

Hi there, 

thanks for the clear instructions, I followed them but am still having issues! Any help would be gratefully received!

I have a studio XPS 435MT, which had a problem with AE, so I took all my files off an took it to be wiped and windows 7 installed. Now I've got home, I cannot see my home wifi, but I can see my neighbours, albeit very, very weak. 

Other laptops are able to see an connect to home wifi, so that's working ok still. I had a problem with bad connection before, and had to install new drivers. Following your instructions, I have identified it's a Dell wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN mini card.the driver version is 4.176.75.21 and date is 10/01/2008. 

I downloaded the updated driver, but when I go to install, it states 'no compatible hardware found'?

I'm pretty confused! 

Natalie

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 22nd, 2014 06:00

Natalie

Is it showing up in the device manager after the Windows 7 installation?

Are you using this driver?

http://ftp.dell.com/network/R250808.exe 

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 07:00

Hi Philip, 

Yes it's showing in the device manager, and yes that's the driver I got from the site provided in the above instructions, it just gets to the end and says no hardware!

8 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 10:00

Hi Philip,

Those minicards are POS, but since yours is intermittent, make sure it is mechanicaly right first by pulling off the back panel, disconnecting and reconnecting the antenna wires after spraying the finger contacts that go to the MB and the little rca type jacks on the card. WHile it is out write down the exact model of the minicard and go online (Not Dell) and google the card number and the word problem, and some better angel will probably have loaded a good driver that will fix your problem. There is also a bug fix for dell laptops that used the intel  pro-wireless software that was pure hell. I think the problem comes from software collision on startup, for lack of a better term. I know the coders are laughing their heads off at that one.

I tried two of the minicards in my Dell XPS 502 and they both went bad and would not recognize my wireless router after a while. I finally threw the damn things in file 13 and installed an old bigger card in the adjacent slot and I have never had another problem. Its probably the minicard that is at fault. That is how they fail. They go intermittant, then they give up the ghost. Like I said they are a POS

What is absolutely amazing to me is that a group of five or six guy and gals just having fun can develop linix Cinnamon Lime that works flawlessly in about 5 months, and Windows works like ***. I think it is because all hardware and software developers have to pay the Microsoft toll to get their stuff certified.

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 20:00

Thank you for your useful information,i will try and tks again

fiber optics cord

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 23rd, 2014 06:00

Hi Philip, 

Yes it's showing in the device manager, and yes that's the driver I got from the site provided in the above instructions, it just gets to the end and says no hardware!

Natalie in that case, install the driver by extracting it and updating via the device manager:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-and-installing-dell-system-drivers-in-the-correct-order/driver-installation-via-the-device-manager/

No Events found!