Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2009 14:00

How do I get rid of the popup dialog ' Activate Dell Mobile Broadband Service '?

I have a Dell Latitude E6500 with a 32-bit Windows Vista Business installed.

Every few days the reminder dialog named Activate Dell Mobile Broadband Service pops up in the middle of whatever I'm doing at the moment.

I do not intend to activate the service, as I have other means to access the Internet, even mobile.

I've tried all possible uses of the dialog (short of activating the service itself, which I do not intend to do). There seems to be no way of telling, I'm not interested, go away for good.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

And if any Dell or associated programmer reading this recognizes himself or herself being responsible for this utterly stupid behavior, take note and learn: NO MORE OF THIS KIND OF STICKY ADVERTISING, PLEASE!

---------------------

Update on Aug 5, 2009: See my own reply to this post below. I found the solution (I think).

And to all Dell and associated programmers: Sorry for the flame above. Turns out, the stupidity (or lack of information) was on me.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 30th, 2009 15:00

You probably have already looked at Add-remove programs. Here is more info.  It doesn't seem to be advertising. You might have ordered the card or service when you ordered the computer.

5 Posts

July 30th, 2009 16:00

Dear Mary G,

Thanks for the reference, I actually hadn't looked at the programs.

There's a Dell 5530 Wireless Broadband Package on the list of removable programs. If I removed that, I would probably get rid of the popup as well. I haven't tried that (yet), but you are probably right.

The problem with removing the package (I anticipate) is that it would presumably remove the driver(s) associated with the hardware as well. If this were the outcome, I'd probably not like it, because it would render some hardware present inoperable and possibly make it show like that in the device listing. I could always mark the device unused, though.

I'm not sure about the card being ordered with the computer. It looks more like an arrangement between Dell and a certain operator (in country) because the computer comes with the SIM card inserted and the associated help texts refer to this one operator. The computer has been ordered by my employer and they have certainly not ordered the card because they use another operator for mobile services. Even the hardware for mobile connectivity looks like something that always comes with the computer, because all the employees have mobile phones with 3G access. We are therefore able to use the mobile phone as the medium with Bluetooth connectivity with the computer, to access the internet while on the move. Using the built-in mobile connectivity would be redundant. Certainly no one there has indicated that I should start using this built-in capability.

One obvious solution occurred to me as soon as I had posted my problem. I have now removed the inactive SIM card from the slot from inside the computer. Now I'm waiting if the popup will still appear. If it does, I will try removing the broadband package as well, even if it affected the drivers.

Thank you.

2 Posts

August 4th, 2009 07:00

I had the same issue with my employer-provided Latitude E6400 and I didn't have the option of removing the card as the adapter is integrated.  In that case there is a switch on the side to disable the adapter.  It also stopped the popups.

5 Posts

August 4th, 2009 17:00

Ok.

After receiving these many friendly suggestions from others and having removed the SIM card from inside the computer, I FINALLY FOUND IT!!!

There's a very explicit option to do this programmatically. No need to use any other tricks, I believe.

I don't know which Dell ControlPoint versions the instructions below apply to. My version is currently A8.1.1.3.5 - 2137f.

Start the Dell ControlPoint software (it should be preinstalled on your computer) and open the user interface (if the software is running and you haven't disabled the display of its "DCP" icon on System Tray, you can open the user interface by right-clicking the "DCP" icon and selecting "Open Dell ControlPoint").

Select "Connection Manager" and press the "Connections" button. This brings up the Dell ControlPoint Connection Manager.

Select "Profiles" and Click the link "Change Settings" at the bottom of the dialog. This brings up "Settings" dialog.

Click the link "Mobile Broadband". This brings up "Mobile Broadband" settings dialog.

AND THERE IT IS, right under the title "Other Options", the option "Show Activation Reminder". To remove the reminder, you must obviously deselect this option.

Mind you, I haven't tried if this actually works. Maybe later.

Thank you, Kloba, for helping me find this solution. I ran into this option while thinking about your suggestion of using the hardware switch.

5 Posts

August 4th, 2009 17:00

Dear Kloba,

I didn't find any schematics with a quick search at Dell site, but I believe the hardware layout is almost identical between the E6400 and E6500.

In my E6500, the adapter is integrated, too. The card holder is under the battery, which must be removed to get access to the card (shut down the computer first). If the structure is similar with the E6500, you should just be able to see the edge of the SIM card under/behind the battery compartment with the battery removed, on the left hand side of the compartment when facing the back panel and the computer upside down. The trick is to not try and draw the card out (even if you have sharp and long nails, which I don't have). You must press the card inward to release the holding spring, and the card will pop slightly out, after which you can remove it (also with dull nails).

The hardware switch would work, but it can control the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios (and the contactless smartcard) as well, which I want it to do. Therefore, the switch by itself is no good for me (there's a thought, though; if I exclude the Mobile Broadband radio from the devices to be controlled by the hardware switch, which I can do using the Dell ControlPoint Connection Manager, what will be the state of the radio after that, or after the next bootup?).

It has now been nearly a week since I removed the SIM card and I haven't seen the popup yet. I'm hopeful I'm in the clear. I will try and remember to post an update, if I don't see the popup in the next week or so.

2 Posts

August 5th, 2009 08:00

Thanks, Jokuvainen.  I've made this settings change on mine and I'll see what happens.  I had to turn the hardware switch back on to see the option.

No Events found!