Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2012 11:00

INSPIRON 660s Wirless lan card

how do i start the inbuilt wireless on my 660s ? i try using hotspot but i get no internet flow though it shows on and if i try setting it up through windows networks it doesnt detect any router :S

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 18th, 2012 20:00

demonicjas,

Not quite sure how to get your phone connected to use the internet. You have a Dll Wireless adapter, so Intel® My WiFi Technology is out of the picture.

You may want to start a new thread and in the subject, put that you want to use the computer as a hotspot for your cell.

Rick

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

November 16th, 2012 20:00

Hi,

Could you share more information on the issue that you are facing? I will get a better understanding.
1. Do you see the 'wireless' icon in 'system tray' at the right bottom corner of your computer screen? (Refer to the highlighted portion in the image below)

- If yes, does it detect any wireless networks in the neighborhood?

- If yes, are you able to connect to any 'wireless network'?

- If you are unable to connect, what is the error message that appears?

2. If you are unable to see the 'wireless' icon in 'system tray' at the right bottom corner of your computer screen, please check 'device manager' to find if the wireless card driver is installed. You may find the following steps useful:
- Click 'Start' and type 'devmgmt.msc' (without quotations) in 'Search programs and files'
- Tap < Enter > (Device Manager opens up)
- Locate an expand 'Network Adapters' and check the status of 'Dell Wireless 1506 adapter'
Note: Check if it has a yellow mark besides it? Is it visible under this category? If not, check the whole list of devices for yellow mark besides any other item' (Capture and report details);
- A screenshot of the 'device manager' page will helps. Please share it on the post.

3. Please share some more information:
- What type of 'internet service' do you have at your home? Is it a cable internet, dsl or satellite?
- Who is the internet service provider?
- Are you using a 'modem' and 'wireless router' setup? Or is it a 'USB device' that you have plugged into the computer?
- Have you tried connecting any other wireless computer with the available network?
- Please share the 'anti-virus' installed in the computer

Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

7 Posts

November 17th, 2012 04:00

is this only meant to connect to a wireless network ? i cannot use my existing network connection (the lan one) to use it as a hotspot and connect other devices ?

7 Posts

November 17th, 2012 04:00

no i dont see the wireless icon

im trying to connect to the net using my inbuilt wireless that came with this pc to connect to my phone....using the hotspot application i am able to detect the wireless network but there is no internet flow

is there a button that i need to press to actiavte wlan ? like a key combination on the dell inspiron 660s ?

2)iv checked device manager ..it shows dell wireless (highlighted in the pic above)

3)im using hathway (they provided me with a modem (scientic atlanta) which i use to connect to the net.it uses the lan cable to connect (not a dial up modem)

using mcafee antivirus

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 17th, 2012 13:00

demonicjas,

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER, if using XP, run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Rick

7 Posts

November 17th, 2012 23:00

Network Card(s):           3 NIC(s) Installed.

[01]: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Connection Name: Local Area Connection

DHCP Enabled:    Yes

DHCP Server:     192.168.1.1

IP address(es)

[01]: 192.168.1.3

[02]: fe80::b533:7d7a:745a:dc0c

[02]: Dell Wireless 1506 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)

Connection Name: Wireless Network Connection

DHCP Enabled:    Yes

DHCP Server:     192.168.1.1

IP address(es)

[01]: 192.168.1.2

[02]: fe80::8d4:2539:9459:1972

[03]: Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Connection Name: Wireless Network Connection 2

currently using a router and got wifi connected ...what i want to do is use existing local area connection as hotspot and connect my phone ..which isnt happening ..shows hotspot98 ...connects but (no net flow)

No Events found!