Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2009 18:00

IP Problems with satellite

I have a Dimension 4600 and am trying to connect and communicate with my satellite modem but can't ping.

I see my IP address is 0.0.0.0, doesn't seem that my computer is able to generate IP address.......

troubleshooting with satellite set up process says to make sure the TCP/IP is configured correctly.

How do I do that? Please help. Thank you in advance. Cherry

10 Posts

July 21st, 2009 19:00

Hi Cherry

It used to be that networking was difficult to configure but these days it is much easier because much of it is automatic. What I would expect to happen is that your satellite modem assigns an ip address to your pc via dhcp. If this is not happening then there are three possibilities:

• There is a faulty network connection between your pc and the satellite modem.
  • The satellite modem is not setup to assign ip addresses via dhcp, or
  • Your pc is not setup to be assigned ip addresses via dhcp, or

To troubleshoot these possibilities follow these steps:

• Unplug the cable at both ends that connects your satellite modem to your pc and then plug it back in. This will fix problems due to not properly seated connectors.
  • Replace the cable that connects your satelllite modem to your pc as it may be faulty.
  • Reset the satellite modem. This is usually done by pressing the reset button at the back of the modem. Be aware that if your reset the modem you will also need to reconfigure it.
  • Check that your pc is configured to receive its ip address via dhcp. You do this by
    • Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network connections, Local Area Connection.
    • Click on the Properties button.
    • Under the General tab of the Window that opens scroll down and click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP). Then click the Properties button.
    • Select 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'.
    • Click on the OK button and then on the OK button again.
  • You may need to reset the TCP/IP stack. You can follow the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 which may be paraphrased as follows:
    • Open the command prompt by clicking on the Start button, clicking run, typing cmd, and pressing OK.
    • In the black window that opens type
      • netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

If this doesn't work then you probably have a faulty cable modem and you should look at replacing it.

Regards

July 21st, 2009 20:00

Hello,

I had already done all in your excellent list except the last one which is resetting of the TCP/IP stack which I then did. Then powered down, then up, powered up the new modem we just received from Hughes today, and tried to ping with no luck.

The message is "destination host unreachable 100% loss".

We have 3 cables here and have tried them all, so it doesn't seem to be a faulty cable or modem.

Could it be a bad network card in my computer?

Cherry

No Events found!