Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2006 20:00

Inspion 1150 wireless connection

I have an Inspiron 1150 and I would like to know what I will need to hook my laptop up to be wireless?

28K Posts

May 27th, 2006 01:00

If your laptop does not have a wireless network adapter, you will first need one of those.  To connect in your home, you will need a broadband (cable or dsl) modem that can connect by ethernet to a wireless router that will allow you to connect wirelessly to the modem and thus the internet.  If all you want to do is connect at hotspots (some free, some with a fee) like are provided at some coffee houses, airports, or hotels, all you need is the wireless network adapter in your computer.

Steve

10 Posts

May 27th, 2006 09:00

Okay so I need to buy the wireless package with the card and the modem.

Thanks! :)

28K Posts

May 27th, 2006 14:00

A broadband (cable or dsl) modem, requires broadband internet service from your cable company, phone company, or whoever provides that service in your community.  Without that service a cable or dsl modem will do you no good.

Steve

10 Posts

May 28th, 2006 12:00

I have bresnan broadband cable. I have a card slot on the side of my computer, but is there a way to tell if my laptop already has a wireless set up in it?

Thanks,

Shell

28K Posts

May 28th, 2006 14:00

Open Device Manager and expand the listing for Network Adapters.  If you have a wireless network adapter, it will be listed there.

Steve

10 Posts

May 29th, 2006 09:00

I looked in my network connections and I found where I could run a wireless wizard, but I haven't found anywhere else where I can see if it is included on my computer itself. I don't have any file names etc of "device manager" or I don't know how to pull it up.

I ran the wireless wizard just to see what it would do and I only find my broadband internet access.

28K Posts

May 29th, 2006 12:00

One way to to find Device Manager -  right click on My Computer and select Properties from the drop-down menu.  Click on the Hardware tab and then on the Device Manager button.   Go down the list until you find Netwrok Adapters.  Click on the + sign next to Network Adapters.

(Gee, I wonder what that Help link is when you click Start - there is a wealth of information on your computer, probably buried behind Help, that could have helped you find Device Manager rather than waiting for someone to tell you.)

Steve

10 Posts

May 29th, 2006 16:00

Ya know its been a while since I had a computer, and I have never had wireless so excuse me for trying to get some help with hooking up a wirless connection correctly.

I thought it was really rude what you said. I am far from stupid, but sometimes computers can be just a little scary and you don't want to mess them up.

Never mind I will just get a 50ft ethernet cable and run it around my house because its far easier to deal with than trying to just get a little help from people like you.

28K Posts

May 29th, 2006 17:00

Please don't be offended.  I am trying to help.  I was just suggesting that most of your simple questions can be answered by consulting the help files already on your computer.  But, if you don't want to hear my advice or accept my help and suggestions, then just run your ethernet cables.  Sorry I offended you. 

Steve

10 Posts

Okay so no Intell.

I will probably do the card that slides into the side because it will be the easiest to install and a router that is the same brand as well.

Again, sorry about the one e-mail and thanks alot for your help.

Now I am off to reset my keyboard because it's not acting correctly when I type.

:)

28K Posts

If there is only one nework adapter listed there, it is likely the ethernet network adapter which is the wired connection.  You will need a wireless network adapter.   You have three choices.  (1) an internal MiniPCI card wireless adapter which would install inside your laptop - see - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1150/sm/upgrades.htm#1084976 and attach to the internal antenna.   You could purchase one of these from Dell - I recommend a Dell wireless adapter rather than an Intel adapter (lot's of people are having trouble with the Intel wireless adapters.  (2) a PCMCIA (PC Card) wireless adapter which would plug into the PC Card slot on the side of your computer.  and (3) a USB wireless network adapter which would plug into a USB port on your computer.  The latter 2 can be purchased anywhere.  I would suggest getting one that is the same brand as your router to avoid the hassles tech support syndrome of always trying to blame the other manufacturer.

Steve

10 Posts

I guess I am just a little frustrated because hooking up wireless sounds so easy, but yet I have also seen the posts where people have had problems and I just don't want to run into those or hook up the wireless incorrectly.

More or less when it comes to running the wireless I have no clue.

I also am still learning on this computer as well and didn't know that little help file was even there. I am still even reading the manual on this computer because I just got it.

BTW I only saw that there was one connection when I did look it up.

I'm sorry if I took the e-mail wrong.

Thanks,

Shellie
No Events found!