Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2015 09:00

Inspirion 3847 Desktop and the Network Port???

On the back of my Inspirion 3847 Desktop the is a Network Port? What is this and what can I do with it?

Connect an Ethernet (RJ45) cable, can I connect my Swann Monitor, which has an Ethernet (RJ45) cable, to it. I was going to experiment but didn't want to blow up my Dell. Any Network Port gurus out there that can shed some light on this little hole in "all" my computers?

Thanks in advance,

Bill in Las Vegas

1.8K Posts

April 27th, 2015 14:00

Hello,

Here is a link to the pdf Quick Start guide to the Inspiron 3847, and you can see where the ethernet connection is on the back of that system.  You cannot connect your monitor to the system via an ethernet port, you need one of the video connections as shown in the quick start guide.  By default that system has an HDMI or VGA connection that you can use to connect to your monitor.

I would not recommend connecting the monitor to the system via ethernet.  I don't think it would cause any harm but you really never know.  

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Todd

17 Posts

April 27th, 2015 15:00

Thanks Todd, does that mean on all of my computers there is an either net hook up that really doesn't do much of nothing. All of my computers are wireless so I can't think of why that plug is there???

Thanks again,

Bill in Las Vegas

<><

Is there a place that can tell me how to put apps on my Dell Venue 11 Pro???

1.8K Posts

April 27th, 2015 17:00

Hello,

Almost all systems have wired network cards in them, except maybe some of the ultra-small models.  If your wireless stops working, for some reason, you will find it useful to wire in.

As for putting apps on a Venue 11 Pro you can refer to this article from Microsoft that might be of help.  It's not specific to the Venue Pro 11 but should explain the process.

Todd

No Events found!