Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2017 12:00

Inspiron 15 5000 - half internet speed

I purchased two of the Inspiron 15 5000 gaming laptops. We set them up - minimal changes. Added users and installed some games. We are getting anywhere from 1mbps to 50 mbps but we pay for 120mbps. We have four computers in the same room. The laptops are the closest to the wireless router. The other two computers are older imacs. They are getting between 90 and 120 mbps. They are 5 - 10 feet further from the router. We have contacted support and they updated drivers. No change. He updated the settings on the network card and still no change. I can't believe that two laptops would have the same problem. We turned off all of the other wireless devices to see if they were the problem and achieved the same speed. Is this really a limitation on the gaming devices that they cap out?

Any other experience on this?

Tks.

G.

2 Posts

March 18th, 2018 13:00

I had the same issue with my Inspiron 5000. The solution from Philrat64 worked a treat. I also uninstalled Smartbyte to make sure it does not reappear.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 12th, 2017 09:00

getgdup,

Click the link below to follow the information in the video to resolve internet speed issues in Windows 10

SOLVED-slow wifi connection problem in windows 10

1 Message

January 25th, 2018 21:00

I'm facing the same issue.
Did you ended up finding a solution for this?

1 Message

January 31st, 2018 05:00

I am facing the same issue with both wifi and ethernet...

I unistall all my software and reinstall drivers but no difference

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2018 00:00

This is extremely odd. I'm having the exact same issue with one of the new inspiron 7577 gaming laptops. I don't get anything over 1.5MB/s download speed and have tried literally everything. I'll be contacting support tomorrow and if the issue isn't resolved the laptop will be going back unfortunately. I run an online business and need constant high speed access to the internet. Totally unacceptable in my opinion.

1 Message

February 2nd, 2018 10:00

Had the same issue, since buying a new 7577 a few days ago, finally found a solution, what fixed it for me was

System Configuration  - sevices - and then uncheck SmartByte network service

So having got my download speed up to scratch, my question would be, is there any downside to unchecking the SmartByte network service box ?

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2018 14:00

It's working!
I LOVE YOU :)
Btw. I'm using 7570 with Intel AC 7265 (Drivers 17.15.0.5)

2 Posts

February 7th, 2018 19:00

Hello, can I purchase computer accessories at : https://www.arikami.com

1 Message

March 4th, 2018 04:00

Fantastic - tried everything else and this worked.

Thank you.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2018 08:00

Wow, you rock!  Thank you so much for the solution and all Dell offered was stock language about 'speed will vary'.  It is amazing that Dell would install such broken software and even more amazing that they have not fixed it by now.  Another reason to do stock!

Thank you again very much.

1 Message

August 7th, 2018 11:00

SmartByte was the culprit that was sacking internet download speed. After stopping the service in Task Mgr my download speed went from 40 to 287 mbps (wireless 5G). We pay for the "Blast" tier through Comcast. Just uninstalled both Smartbyte apps on my Dell Inspiron 15 5000 gaming. My iPhone 6 was even pulling down 230 mbps. Have no idea why Dell would add SmartByte as a feature knowing that it severely degrades download speed.

13 Posts

August 9th, 2018 15:00

just an FYI, when i uninstalled SmartByte something would reinstall it without my knowledge.. keep a watchful eye on your installed programs.. the best bet would be to just disable it in the services tab of task manager.

3 Posts

August 9th, 2018 18:00

CONFIRMED WORKING.  UNCHECK SMARTBYTE NETWORK SERVICE IN MSCONFIG AND YOU WILL BE GOLDEN!

1 Message

August 22nd, 2018 23:00

Amen!  My download speed went from 6 Mbps to 105 Mbps after SmartByte was disabled.  What value Dell sees in this application is beyond me...

5 Posts

September 12th, 2018 02:00

Thank you. I did not find SmartByte there on my Dell Inspiron 15 3000. I did find it in services. I stopped It and disabled it my speed jumped from 530kbs to over 100mbs. Then I went further and uninstalled it. Dell did not post this in their info. Funny how they did not.

No Events found!