Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2013 21:00

Inspiron 15R - "a physical WiFi adapter is not installed"

I have recently gone as far as restoring my computer to its "factory" state to try and combat this issue.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is much else I can do at this point - the issue has not been resolved.

I re-installed factory drivers for my adapter, then replaced those with updated drivers from Intel. I was 'alright' for a while, but have had to launch Device Manager to re-enable the adapter, or restart my computer entirely because it failed to display my adapter at all. At this point, I get no result with either.

I have tried to 'recognize' the adapter as a new device (added hardware), but that didn't solve anything - it duplicated it in Device Manager and then displayed the yellow exclamation point indicating it needed new drivers - I attempted to update but it displayed an error, so I ended up uninstalling the duplicate.

At this point, I feel like it's the hardware that is the problem, and not my computer's ability to recognize it. Though I have been able to connect to my network in the past, its ability to function would be patchy, at best, if I could get it to work at this point. Should I try to reset/replace my wireless card, or is there something else I can try?

My 'network card' is fine, according to a diagnostic, and my Bluetooth works fine.

Any help is appreciated! (:

- Elise

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 27th, 2013 21:00

Elise,

Did you do a manual installation using the DVD's or use the recovery partition? Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER, if using XP, run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Rick

No Events found!