Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2015 11:00

Inspiron 17 5748, Dell Wireless 1704 Windows 10 driver problem.

Hello

After upgrading from Win 8.1 do Win 10 I went for a clean install. I've prepared all the necessary Windows 10 drivers for my laptop and obtained an ISO from Media Creation Tool. The whole installation of Win 10 went smooth. After booting I proceeded to installing all the necessary drivers in the correct order which I've found on Dell's website. After installing Dell Wireless 1704 driver for my laptop I have encountered a weird thing - It doesnt work. Well I don't know actually, because it seems that nothing beside Bluetooth drivers were installed. I can't find my WPA/WPA2 AES router, and all the other access point have terrible signal strenght. I've reinstalled all different Dell Wireless 1704 drivers from Win 10 to 7 and nothing seems to change in Device Manager. It is still using the same driver version no matter which driver I install - 6.30.223.256 dated at - 06.02.2013. I'm getting frustrated trying to find the answer, but i have run out of ideas. I need to use external WiFi card for now.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 2nd, 2015 16:00

Take care with the Clean Install, you need to initially upgrade if you want an activated product, see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/upgrading-to-windows-10/

Initially Windows 10 must be installed as an Upgrade over your existing Windows 7/8.1 or Insider Preview.

Your device will be registered as a Windows 10 Device during the initial upgrade from Windows Update. Essentially its hardware profile will be submitted to a Microsoft Product Activation Server.*

Failure to perform an initial upgrade will result in an unactivated Windows 10 Installation.

* Attempted direct Clean Install will lead to an unactivated install because the system isn’t verified as a Windows 10 Device. You will need to Reinstall your Base Windows License, update it and perform the Upgrade via Windows Update. In other words direct Clean Installation of Windows 10 won’t work but the Initial Upgrade via Windows Update and a Clean Reinstallation of Windows 10 will work. Initially I named my website DellWindowsReinstallationGuide as it was based on a Dell Windows Reinstallation DVD but the name is well suited to the procedure necessary to get a Clean Reinstallation for Windows 10. Clean Reinstallation = Clean Installation with Product Activation.

WiFi: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03115347M/1/XPS-8700_Network_Driver_4JJ9G_WN32_7.35.267.0_A00.EXE

BT: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03127664M/1/XPS-8700_Communications_Driver_6Y42Y_WN32_12.0.1.587_A00.EXE

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2015 16:00

I did upgraded before. That's why I've said after upgrade from 8.1 to Win 10 I've done a clean install. Don't worry.  I'm going to try this WiFi driver. I'll post with the results in a couple of minutes.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2015 17:00

I saw in the Device Manager that the WiFi driver installed succesfully, but it still doesn't see my router. I had to go back to my external WiFi dongle. That'sweird, because when i first upgraded the OS, the WiFi was great. Any ideas?

EDIT: I have reinstalled Windows 10 once again, reinstalled all drivers and factory reset my router. It started to work.

1 Message

August 5th, 2015 17:00

I had the EXACT issue on Inspiron 17 (5748).

Client updated to Win10, install went smooth, but WiFi showed as disabled. Brought in for fix. Funny thing is that plugging in a network cord works. Tried manually updating all drivers (Bios, chipset, etc), but nothing would fix it. However, updating to the latest at least showed available networks. It just wouldn't connect.

Only fix that worked in the meantime was to uninstall driver and delete. Windows automatically installed a generic broadcom driver that functions in the meantime.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 6th, 2015 12:00

The problem came back again. After a power outage my router of couse restarted with new IP etc. and now I  dont see it in the WiFi section. I have factory reset it twice now, and I'm tired of this, because every time it restarts I have to config it from factory reset to show up on the laptop. I'm not having any problems with other devices, laptops with Windows 10. Can I at least have an ETA for a proper Dell Wireless 1704 driver for Windows 10? I thought Dell is going to support 5748 for Win 10. I have everything set up and I'm not going back to 8.1 again. I had removed DW WLAN Utility and I'm leaving the laptop on generic Win 10 drivers at the moment.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 13th, 2015 09:00

So nobody at Dell cares about my Dell device to work properly? It's been two weeks since Windows 10 launch. The device is certified for upgrade, and the WiFi driver still does not work properly. There has been no updates on when I can use my laptop again, that I have bought less than a year ago. Give me a working Dell Wireless 1704 driver for Windows 10.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2015 03:00

Hi, I suffered the same problem after upgrading form win 8.1 to win 10, then updating.

I tried zillion things, did not work, then finally I used control panel>device manager>wireless>uninstall driver and software; then rebooted, and it worked fine.

No Events found!