Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2007 21:00

Inspiron 5160 (after hardrive crash)...re-installing. problems with network and wireless

had a harddrive crash, now in the process of re-installing.
Windows XP is installed
now trying to access the internet... all this worked fine before the HD crash
1- when I use IPCONFIG,  all I get back is a 1 liner "Windows IP Configuration"
     I get nothing else...
2- under the Device Controller window (under the Other devices section)
     I see the Eithernet Controller   &   Network Controller  listed... with the big yellow "?" icons.
     I don't remember if these were in the machine (from 2004) ... the packing slip does not mention these items.
3- May only have the wireless card which is identified as 1394 (but the packing slip says 1350)

Since IPCONFIG does not give me anything, I can't get the MAC address to put in the router (the router still contains the MAC address from before the HD crash)

In any case, I can't seem to get the router and wireless card to see each other... HELP!!!

when I hardwire from the laptop to the router,  the router light shows activity in that connection, but
I think because of # 2 above, there is no drivers?  But how can that be for Windows XP?

Message Edited by ScruffyJohn on 03-21-2007 05:58 PM

Message Edited by ScruffyJohn on 03-21-2007 06:26 PM

28K Posts

March 21st, 2007 23:00

After reinstalling Windows, it is absolutely essential the Chipset drivers be installed before even attempting to install any other device drivers.   It appears that you have not done so.  Note that the 1394 device is your firewire port and is not normally used in networking.  It is likely that your wireless network adapter is the Dell 1350.  You may have to start over - reformatting, reinstalling Windows, and then installing the drivers in the proper order.  It is difficult to provide further help because you have not said which model computer you have (essential information anytime you ask a question here).

Steve

March 22nd, 2007 00:00

thanks for the reply
I thought the title mentioned the model  :  Inspiron 5160  (laptop)

I was kind of afraid I had done the install in the wrong order....
What's the order?
1-Windows XP
2- Device Drivers & Diag. utilities for 5160 System Software
3- CyberLink PowerDVD
4- Tool System Software (contains Antivirus, support, Multimedia, Internet software)
5- the the other software  (Norton, Word Perfect, etc)

is this the order?

these are the only CDs I got from Dell that came with the machine

Message Edited by ScruffyJohn on 03-21-2007 08:49 PM

28K Posts

March 22nd, 2007 01:00

The driver installation order is given in the FAQ at the top of this forum:

The drivers should be on the Device Drivers and Diagnostics CD.  You must install the chipset drivers first.

Sorry I missed the System model.  It makes it easier if you provide it in the body of the message because that is what I read.

Steve

Message Edited by volcano11 on 03-21-2007 09:53 PM

March 22nd, 2007 02:00

thanks for the lead

ok, I think I'm almost there.
I can now get to the internet via the router using a hardwire cable to the router.
This means, the router sees it, and authorized it via the MAC address...

So now I think I just have to get the wireless part to work... suggestions?

March 22nd, 2007 19:00

well I'm up (by way of some wireless means)
would someone explain what is happening?

Under the Network Connections I see
    - Wireless Network Connection .......  (Dell  Wireless 1350 WLAN)  : not Connected
    - 1394 connection......1394 Net Adapter : connect
    - Local Area Connection ..... Broadcom 440x 10/100 .... :  network cable not connected

now when I do an Ipconfig /all
under     Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI
I have a  DHCP address    and  an IP address and so forth

I am connected to the internet....

The router does see the laptop with the MAC address associated to   "Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI"

So I'm confused why windows XP is showing 1394 connected , but not the 1350 WLAN ?

28K Posts

March 22nd, 2007 23:00

The 1394 connection (Firewire port) always shows connected, so that is not unusually.  Is Windows managing your wirless connection or are you using the Dell wireless utility to manage your connection.  If the Dell utility is managing the connection, then Windows will show that it is not connected, which really means that Windows is not managing the connection.

Steve
No Events found!