Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2011 08:00

Inspiron 580- How to connect wireless to modem router?

Hello

Recently purchased a Inspiron 580 and turned it on for the first time tonight. Couldn't get it connected to my modem router then realised the computer didn't come with a wireless network card.

My questions are:

1) Do i need to to buy and install a network card myself so I can access the internet wirelessly through the modem router?

2) Why don't these desktops come with one as a standard (or optional) option when buying this desktop? Dell laptops have it, but these dekstops don't?!

A little annoyed that i wasn't able to connect to the internet on a brand new computer but i guess it is also partly my fault for not knowing the 580 desktop doesn't come with a wireless network card.

Any help/assistance/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2011 09:00

Kinezo81,

You can attach an ethernet cable from the computer to a numbered port in your wireless router, if it's close. The connection will give you fast download speeds.

You can try running Finding System Information and at the bottom it will list your network adapters. If you don't see a wireless adapter listed, then you will need to go and purchase a network adapter. Please read the instructions carefully. You'll need to install the drivers from the disk provided, then shutdow the computer and unplug it from the wall. Press the power button to dischange and current in the system. Carefully ground yourself and attach the wireless adapter. Once installed, plug the computer in the wall and power it up. The new hardware wizard should find the new hardware and use the drivers you installed to get the adapter working.

Rick

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 23:00

Will one of those USB adaptor things do the job??

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 24th, 2011 01:00

Kinezo81,

Yes, a USB wireless adapter should work fine.

Rick

September 26th, 2014 09:00

Hello

Recently purchased a Inspiron 580 and turned it on for the first time tonight. Couldn't get it connected to my modem router then realised the computer didn't come with a wireless network card.

My questions are:

1) Do i need to to buy and install a network card myself so I can access the internet wirelessly through the modem router?

2) Why don't these desktops come with one as a standard (or optional) option when buying this desktop? Dell laptops have it, but these dekstops don't?!

A little annoyed that i wasn't able to connect to the internet on a brand new computer but i guess it is also partly my fault for not knowing the 580 desktop doesn't come with a wireless network card.

Any help/assistance/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

No Events found!