Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 19th, 2007 16:00

Inspiron 6000 - Trying to re-install driver for Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG

I recently replaced my hard drive and I reinstalled Windows XP Home and all of the necessary drivers from the Dell Support site. I cannot get the Wireless Hardware to be recognized and I get the following error message: "No supported wireless adapters available in the system" or from the device manager... "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" I have read through so many messages and tried so many things with no luck. I tried: 1) After reinstalling Windows XP and first installed the Intel Chip-set drivers followed by the pro wireless stuff and other remaining drivers. Everything works except the wireless. 2) Tried looking for older versions of drivers/software. I found something on the intel site but that did not work. I cannot believe that Dell requests that we pay for support when the issue is entirely a Dell issue and not user error. Any assistance is appreciated. I am even wondering if I have a 2200BG or something else? Message Edited by Jeff_Inspiron6000 on 12-19-2007 02:02 PM

Message Edited by Jeff_Inspiron6000 on 12-19-2007 03:42 PM

28K Posts

December 19th, 2007 17:00

Since it is against the rules of the forum to post a service tag number, I strongly advise you to edit your post and remover the Service Tag.  Otherwise a Dell moderator will remove you post.

First, make sure you have the correct drivers.  I suggest the latest drivers from the Intel web site.  Next, start your computer in Safe Mode and then go into Device Manager and remove the Intel 2200 wireless adapter.  Restart your computer in Normal Mode, cancel the New Hardware Wizard, if it starts, then run the driver file to install the drivers.  Does this fix the problem? 

Steve

December 19th, 2007 18:00

I removed that Service Tag. Thanks for the heads up. I will try your suggestion and post my results. Jeff

December 19th, 2007 19:00

Same as before. I get that CODE 10 error. Also, Windows never finds the hardware so I have to manually install the driver and after that is done I get the CODE 10 error.

Message Edited by Jeff_Inspiron6000 on 12-19-2007 04:21 PM

28K Posts

December 19th, 2007 20:00

Are you absolutely sure you installed the drivers in the correct order after installing Windows?  Did you install the Notebook System Software?

Steve

December 19th, 2007 21:00

Actually I am not sure what order is correct. I am also not sure what the Notebook System Software is you are referring to. Thanks for your help and please provide me more details.

I went online with my service tag and downloaded all of the drivers and software that I thought I needed. Everything is working except for the wireless hardware. I did a complete format/install twice already.

Jeff

December 19th, 2007 22:00

Thank You! I will go ahead and start from an fresh reinstall of Windows. Thanks. I will post my progress.

December 20th, 2007 01:00

I followed all of the steps with installing the drivers in order. No go. I give up. Time to install my trusty old LinkSys card. Jeff

4.4K Posts

December 20th, 2007 01:00

try reseating the card.

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

December 20th, 2007 05:00

not sure what wireless card you have,,,though the 2200bg was popular..what you might do, is download all the drivers that is for eacy wireless card that was made with inspiron 6000,,,and then go to device manager, find your wireless card , and update the driver..its possible that it might pick the drivers up... not sure if the device manager will list the exact wireless card you have? i believe the code 10 error means the device is unable to load the drivers....also,,after you load your drivers,,go to device manager and check the device,,make sure there is no yellow exclamation mark beside it.etc.

Message Edited by ronss on 12-20-2007 01:17 AM

1 Message

February 8th, 2008 14:00

I have the same exact problem.When i install the driver manually i get the code 10 and the no wireless adapter supported messaged. When i uninstall and try and reinstall it it comes up as network controller under other devices. Once and awhile it will find the drivers and start working but then once im connected to the wireless for a little while my computer will freeze and when i restart it doesnt work anymore and wont find the drivers. HELP!!!

No Events found!