Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 24th, 2005 13:00

Inspiron 8000. Problem with re-connecting Cable Network after using Wireless Network

Hello,

I'm have an Inspiron 8000 with Windows 2000 (Working System) and Windows ME (for games) installed.
Usualy working with W2K, I use a cable network (or is it called "wired network" ?) at Home with a Netgear router.
Everything works fine, until I connect to an other Network, for example a wireless network for Internet access, when i'm not at home. The temporaly wireless connection is not the problem, it works instantly.
But back at home, I just can't reconnect my cable network. Internet dont works and I also can't connect to my routers web-interface using it's local IP address.
I restarted my Notebook, I tried to change my Notebook settings from DHCP to fixed IP and back to DHCP I also un- and re-installed the TCP/IP driver in the Network Settings. All this has no affect.

And now a verry strange thing:
In this situation I have to restart my Notebook and boot Windows ME, where everything works fine, Internet and access to the router. After doing that and restarting Windows 2000, the problem has gone for a mystical reason !!!

Because of this, it has to be a hardware issue ?!? Windows ME could not affect my W2K NTFS partition!

Any ideas to solve the Problem? Because I don't want to fist start ME and then W2K, after I used my Notebook outwards.

Excuse my moderate english and thanks in advance for any help!

Message Edited by charlie321 on 03-24-2005 09:10 AM

950 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 14:00

It could be the laptop has the wifi set to power saving mode. That will turn off the wifi adapter when the laptop goes into standby or hibernate. Then even when it wakes up it will not grab an ip address.

I have not even been around ME for years and years so I can't be certain but go into the wifi adapter properties and advance settings and see if there is a power saving mode enabled. if so disable it.

Also ME is notorious for having severe problems using hibernate. so i suggest not using hybernate. Standby is usually ok.

No Events found!