Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2010 21:00

Inspiron N5010 - Win 7 - Wireless wont connect

Hi All!  Recently got my Inspiron 5010N, only issue Im having is using the built in wireless hardware.  I can browse and find networks, I just cant connect to any.  My home network is now open and unencrypted (running G), but it still wont connect.  However, I installed a USB wireless adapter, and I can connect without issue.  So I dont think its a firewall, etc.  I think its something with the built in adapter...

After checking out the device manager, it looks like the laptops using a "DW1501 WLAN Half-Mini Card".  I went to the downloads page through dell.com to update my drivers, but Im still having issues.  Has anyone else ran into this issue?  Im running Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks!

2 Posts

August 28th, 2010 23:00

Hi, just curious, If I want to connect to my home network wireless connection, I click on the name of the connection and then on "Connect" (in the lower right corner/system tray). Are you trying the same process? After the initial connection, whenever I'm in the vicinity of my home network it picks it up and connects.

Thanks

Joe K

6 Posts

August 29th, 2010 09:00

Thanks Joeski, yes Ive tried that same process.  My wifi adapter detects the home network, it just cant connect to it.  I dont know why, I just get a message stating "cannot connect to this wireless network".  This happens for any wireless network I attempt to connect to...

2 Posts

August 29th, 2010 09:00

One last thing. The F2 function key turns on /off wirless functionality. If it's not set to "on" it might cause a problem. Just taking a stab.

Good Luck!

Joe

6 Posts

August 29th, 2010 10:00

Thanks Joeski, but yes it is on.  I can BROWSE to find networks, I just cant connect (aka get an IP)

2 Posts

August 29th, 2010 21:00

I had the same wireless card on my laptop.  I didn't have any problems with it connecting to a G network, but you should know that this card will not detect a 5GHZ N network.  If you ever want to upgrade your wireless network to N, you might want to get Dell support to replace your wireless card while it's under warranty.  The tech came last week and replaced my card with a Intel 6200 wireless card.  All my problems were resolved.  I wouldn't waste time with the 1501 card.  Of course for them to come out, I had to share my computer with their tech support and they had to discover that nothing they tried was going to work.  Since I didn't have the same problem as you, they might be able to resolve your problem and not have to replace your card.  Just be warned that you'll have problems later with this card.  Overall their tech support was very responsive and they did resolve my issue.  Just be prepared to be on hold for awhile.

6 Posts

August 30th, 2010 07:00

Thanks Fay!  So just to be sure here, youre saying that you werent even able to detect a network?  Because thats the kicker here, i can detect any network I want.. it just wont connect to any networks...

2 Posts

August 30th, 2010 18:00

The card had no problems detecting and connecting to my G network.  The card couldn't detect my N network operating at 5 GHZ.  That was my issue.  My network is locked down pretty tight and I had no problems connecting to the G network once I had everything set up.

6 Posts

August 31st, 2010 13:00

Nobody's had this same issue?

1 Message

September 2nd, 2010 07:00

I have exactly the same problem!When i try to connect by wifi they ask me the password and then the message  "cannot connect to this wireless network" appear.  I really don't know why. I downloaded the last drivers too but the problem isn't solved

1 Message

October 15th, 2010 19:00

I also have the exact same problem. Also with an Inspiron N5010 using a DW 1501 wireless adapter.

I can see my wireless network with a good signal strength.

It's a simple 802.11G connection using WPA2-PSK.

I choose to connect, enter the secret and it fails to connect.

I've reinstalled the R258267 drivers (version 5.60.48.35, A01) a number of times with the same result.

The trouble-shooter resets the wireless connection but still the same result.

October 25th, 2010 05:00

A lot of users have the same problem as TRAY88. DW1501 will connect to G network, but not to N network.

Also I have the same problem and still in discussion with Dell.

However keep in mind that N network has nothing to do with 5 GHz band. N network can also work at 2,4 GHz. band.

Router manufacturers just went to 5 GHZ band because this band is less used and so cleaner. However if you read different tests you will see that often especially the range at 2.4 GHZ is better than at 5 GHz.

November 27th, 2010 04:00

Hi, I have the very same issue. Can see all the networks, butg cannot connect to them. Mine is also free and open.

Using win7, Intel 6200 network card, tried to disable and re-enable, tried deleting the driver and reinstall it.. neither helped.. :(

November 29th, 2010 01:00

Hi Sandor,

I do not know if you have exactly the same problem as I had and TRAY88.
My problem was that I could connect the the G network, but not the the N network.
This problem was solved by complete remove the the wireless drivers, reboot the system and than load the newest drivers.
Now I could connect the the N network. The system still tells that the maximum speed is 72 Mb, but this is still a bug because the speed can be higher.
And yes the DW1501 card only suports the 2.4 Ghz band, not the 5 GHz, but as said before this has nothing to do with N network.

The funny things was that with DWLAN tester the system did tell me I was connected to a N router with a speed of 300 Mb.
To get the 300 Mb you must select in your router 20 Mhz band and 40 Mhz band, so together.
If you only select one band you will get 170 Mb.

So the question is do you see with DWLAN?
Also can you not connect to the N network, but you can connect to the G network?
Or can't you connect to any network, G and N?

November 29th, 2010 02:00

Hi, I have a full ordinary G network, no encryption only MAC filering.

I cans ee the networks, bur cannot connect to any. :(

November 29th, 2010 02:00

Strange, but you have a different problem as I had.
This is what I would do in your case.
Take the laptop an go to a friend who also has a wireless router which is working correct with the friends laptop/computer.
Try to connect with your laptop to his network.
If this works you know the problem is in your router.
If it does not work ask your friend (if he has a laptop) if he want to try to connect with his laptop to your router.
Normally this should work and than you know the problem is in your laptop.
Than you at least know where to look, because now it can be everything, router or wireless card.

No Events found!