Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2009 15:00

Inspiron dropping internet connection when wired AND wireless

I have a new Inspiron that is dropping the internet connection regardless of whether using a wired or wireless connection.  IIt will be connected, then drop, then reconnect.  At times it will also start to load web pages very slowly.  I use this laptop in my home, and we do not have any other wireless networks nearby that could be interfering.  It is running XP.

I also have a Studio laptop (running Vista) that I use here as well; this issue does not occur with that laptop.  This leads me to believe that it must be a setting, bad hardware, etc.  I was running McAfee on the Inspiron, then switched to Kapersky Internet Security on both machines; the problem on the Inspiron seemed to have started after that I installed Kapersky.  IThinking that this may have been the issue, I uninstalled Kapersky and installed a security package offered by my internet provider, but to no avail - still having the problem.  Any thoughts on what might be the cause would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

11 Posts

October 6th, 2009 07:00

I am having the same problem with my Inspiron .  It seems Dell doesnt care that we are having this issue, as I have posted about it previously and they still haven't replied. Im debating on doing a factory restore and see if that fixes the problem, but I don't want to have to do that if there is a simpler solution.

1 Message

October 17th, 2009 02:00

I have had my Dell Inspiron 1318, for about 6 months and have never had a problem with my internet connection. I am experiencing this problem and am a little discomforted to find out that this is a problem for it seems all Dell related inspirons. I have a wired connection to my Inspiron and until this past week cannot figure out why I constantly lose my internet connection. I hope all eyes and ears from Dell are listening and can hopefully give us all some answers. Ive tried everything and it is driving me crazy, can someone please shed the light, THANKYOU!

11 Posts

October 17th, 2009 10:00

I tried to restore my system to like a week before the problem started. Still had the same problem. So what I did was restore it to the day after I got it and so far, I havent had any more problems. Someone mentioned that it may have had something to do with the windows updates, so I turned off the automatic updates to see if that helped. So far so good. I mean I still get the notices for updates, I just dont have them automatically installed. Hope this helps!

October 17th, 2009 14:00

I just bought a Inspiron 1440 refurbished and I had a problem with the download speed crawling while uploading was fast and fine. You can use the http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ site to check your upload and download speeds. I did a Internet search and it turns out that this issue has come up before with the same network card (Realtek) I have and it turns out to be a driver problem. I had to go into the device manager Network Adapters right click and uninstall. When the program asks if you want to uninstall the software drivers answer yes. Now you are ready to install the new drivers. Reboot windows and then windows will notify it can't install the drivers for your device. Now you can install the drivers that don't cause the slow down problem. I obtained the Realtek drivers from Dell's software driver section for my computer. You may need to download yours from the realtek.com web site if Dell doesn't have the drivers for your computer.

This problem is just a setting in the driver software that throttles down Internet connections. If you use the NIC on a LAN the problem does not occur. Yesterday I transferred twenty gigs of data from my Dell Desktop  to my new laptop and had no speed problems. As soon as I went on the Internet it crawled to snails pace, like I was on dial up again. I figured yesterday that my Cable modem connection was slow, but today I fired up my desktop and the Internet speed was fast as normal, but the laptop was at dial up speed. It now works 100% as fast as the ddesktop with the new drivers installed.

Problem Driver : realtek network rtl8102/8103 family pci-e fe nic error - Windows Update

Dell Driver Fix for Vista 64 bit SP2 R236709

No Events found!