Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2009 09:00

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Card does not turn on automatically... HELP?!

I have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop which comes with a wireless card.  When I turn on the switch on the side of the laptop the wireless does not come on.  I have to go to Device Manager and disable and then reenable the driver before it will work.

I have tried updating the driver software but it says that the driver is up to date.  Please help!!

1.7K Posts

February 5th, 2009 09:00

Check the BIOS settings for wireless. It may be that it isn't set to use the switch on the side of the computer.

8 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 14:00

Hi Larry,

The BIOS settings show that the wireless switch turns on both Wireless and Bluetooth.  So that's not a problem.

It's odd because sometimes the switch will turn on the wireless and sometimes it wont.

2 Posts

January 12th, 2010 03:00

I have exactly the same issue with my Dell XPS M1530 with Intel Pro Wireless. I find that sometimes after I resume from sleep it just won't come back.

2 Posts

January 12th, 2010 04:00

SOLVED!

After trawling around on the interwebnet, I found an interesting experience on Dell laptops whereby a powerup sequence (e.g. resume from sleep) when no power cable is plugged in (i.e. on battery power) and no ethernet cable plugged in, the wireless device can fail to wake up. This is probably a bug in the hardware/software that manages the physical wireless switch.

Solution? Put your laptop back asleep. Ensure the power cable is plugged in (I also had my wireless switched off). Resume from sleep, switch on the wireless, Hey Presto, Wireless adapter back inoperation!

Steven

No Events found!