Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 27th, 2007 18:00

Intel Proset Connection Problems

For a year and a half I have been able to connect to an open wireless connection in my neighborhood, without any problems.  Suddenly, in the middle of February I could no longer connect.  No error message is given, it simply tries to connect for about a minute then says "Unable to Connect".  The signal is as strong as ever.  How do I fix this?  What is the problem?  How do I diagnose?

I see that there are some downloads available for my laptop, but without a wireless connection - I can't download them!

Also, I am occasionally able to connect to a much weaker signal but then for some reason my Explorer won't let me surf unless I am also logged onto my dial-up through MSN.

Any help would be great.  Do I just need a new/updated wireless card maybe?

Thanks,
Susan

28K Posts

March 27th, 2007 23:00

Are you absolutely sure that whoever owns the wireless router you were connecting to hasn't changed something (i.e. enabled MAC address filtering or some other form of security to prevent unauthorized users from stealing their bandwidth).  Often times routers need to be reset (turned off then turned back on).  Can you contact the owner to the network asking for them to try that so you can get a connection?

Steve

5 Posts

April 4th, 2007 19:00

Thanks for writing.  Was away.

I am not 100% sure they have changed their setting to block me, but after a year and half of being able to use it, it seems strange that now I would be blocked.  Plus there is no message saying I am blocked and no lock shows up saying it is protected.  It simply fails to connect.

Also, I'm having problems with my internet connectivity all around it seems.  I can log on to other open signals only intermitently and then Explorer won't always work.  And then for some reason I must be logged into my MSN dial-up in order to use my wirless on MSN and even then the signal is slow.  I went to a coffee shop to try open signals there and had the same problems.

Do I need a new wireless card?  A better antennae?

Thanks for any help you can give.

s
No Events found!