Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

May 12th, 2009 20:00

Intermittent Connectivity Problems with Vista

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 I have a Vostra 200 series desktop (or at least i think thats the model), but either way its running Vista Home Premium that is completely up to date with patches. It is connected to a Linksys WRT54GS router with a PCI-Wireless G card. Lately the thing is having problems where it has "Access: Local and Internet" connectivity but randomly drops to "Access: Local Only" and other times just drops connection all together and then reconnecting takes 3-4 minutes and its fine for about 5-10 minutes. I have double checked all the router settings, verified the network settigns in Vista, verified DHCP is properly functioning, upgraded router firmware, reinstalled/updated the Wireless-G card drivers and nothing seems to help. After searching around on the internet it seems to be that it is just a Vista problem and nothing else. Has anyone else came up with a solution to this problem? I've heard people have the same problem but have an XP machine work perfectly on the same network. I plan on bringing an XP machine to that location tomorrow to try to verify it being a Vista problem. Any help would be great.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 12th, 2009 23:00

eldurso,

Are you using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, especiall the updating of the firmware? I use channel 11.

Also, did you try this tweak?

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

No Events found!