Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

December 8th, 2012 23:00

Intermittent wireless failure

I have an XPS L502X about 9 months old, running Win7Pro 64.  Several times each day my wireless connection goes down, and needs to to have the wireless adapter (Intel  Centrino Advanced N6230) reset, after which time the systems works fine again for several hours before going down again.  I have cable internet and a DLink 645 wireless router.  All the drivers are up to date for both the router and the laptop.  The Intel Proset wireless tools diagnostic does not indicate any problems.  The wireless signal (set at channel 11) seems quite strong.  I see there have been some problems with McAfee Security Center reported in other forums and wonder if it might be that.

The Windows Nettwork Diagnostic report is attached.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Fred

1 Attachment

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 10th, 2012 17:00

Fred,

In theory, the higher the frequency, the smaller the antenna

So the higher channels should work better with the antenna size. The lower channels need a larger antenna. Channels 1, 6 or 11 work for many wireless devices, like usb adapters, printers, game systems, etc.

The speed for now will be the slower speeds but trying to see if you keep connected. Once you keep connected, if you don't use wireless devices, like printers, cell phones, etc..., you can then try going to WPA2-PSK(TKIP) Security. If you stay connected, then try WPA-AES, then WPA2-AES, these are the fastest connections. But if you don't stay connected, then the faster speeds don't mean anything.

Rick

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2012 23:00

Fred,

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

55 Posts

December 9th, 2012 11:00

Hi Rick

I already have all the latest drivers for my laptop.  I have however made the adjustment for the power and the wireless adapter.  I should say that I almost always have the laptop on mains power.

I will let you know how I go with your changes.

Thanks

Fred

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 9th, 2012 14:00

Fred,

Keep me posted.

Rick

55 Posts

December 9th, 2012 16:00

I have had two adapter failures since setting the new settings you gave me.  Other suggestions?

Fred

55 Posts

December 9th, 2012 17:00

Hi Rick

I am not sure what I am looking at.  If you mean item labelled "4" then it appears to be a closed port with a "dot" of plastic on it.  I don't have anything in it.

Fred

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 9th, 2012 17:00

Fred,

Look at page 30 in the Dell L502x Manual and check to see that the antenna wires are on correctly.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 10th, 2012 10:00

Fred,

Channels 1, 6 or 11 should be the best channels to use. I use channel 11.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 10th, 2012 12:00

Fred,

If you recently installed/reinstalled the operating system, did you install the drivers in order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Let's first try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings and use channel 11.

You can go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. Download the drivers for your adapter and save it to your desktop.

Make a system restore point.

Start, control panel, device manager, network adapters, right click on your network adapter, left click uninstall. Tell it to remove the drivers and software.

Restart your computer. When you log in, the new hardware wizard will try to install the adapter but fail. Use the drivers saved to the desktop to install..

You can also try tilting the computer on the left side and see if your signal increases.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 10th, 2012 15:00

Fred,

Yes, try these settings as they seem to work for all devices

Rick

55 Posts

December 10th, 2012 15:00

So, as I understand it, you want me to go to WPA - TKIP instead of WPA 2?

Fred

55 Posts

December 10th, 2012 16:00

Hi Rick

OK, I have reinstalled the adapter drivers and gone to WPA.  Will let you know how I go.  Signal strength is still between -60 and -50 and the wireless speed is down from 120Mbps to about 54 or lower.  I have found that the network speed depends on the channel, with channel 2 being the best for some reason.

Fred

55 Posts

December 10th, 2012 18:00

So far, so good...

Thanks for your help.

Fred

55 Posts

December 11th, 2012 14:00

Rick

System is looking good.  Has not gone down for a few hours now.  I will keep it at these settings for a day or two and then start to escalate the system.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 11th, 2012 19:00

Fred,

Glad to hear that. Keep me posted.

Rick

No Events found!