Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

October 19th, 2009 18:00

Internet Drops . . . Eventually

It has become a daily issue for me . . . my internet connection seems to eventually stop (I'm not sure how else to describe it).  The details:

I have no problem logging on initially wherever I am . . . wired or wireless, cable modem, dsl, etc (I work at home and in three other offices) using Firefox or IE8.  However, the same problem happens without fail.  After a while, the pages say "Loading" or "Connecting" but never connect.  It is almost as if the internet connection decides that it has visited enough pages and doesn't want to continue.  It doesn't matter if I switch over to the other browser that I am not using - I still can't connect and my email connection also dies.  Another way to describe it is that it feels like I've maxed the quota of web pages I'm allowed to visit and then the connection dies.  The only way to get back online is to shut down the computer completely and start over.  By the way . . . the shut down process seems to take longer when this happens.

I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling both Firefox and IE8 but it hasn't helped.  It might be a coincidence, but if I open up an internet radio station and keep it running whether I am listening to it or not I seem to be able to extend the time I can stay online before shutting down and starting over.

I would love a series of steps I could follow to try and diagnose the problem.  I'm really baffled by this one and it has become very tiring.

Specs:  Dell Studio 1555, Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 4.00 GB RAM, Intel Core Duo 2.20GHz, Firefox and IE8 latest updates.

Thanks in advance for any help!

42 Posts

October 26th, 2009 12:00

No ideas?

295 Posts

October 26th, 2009 21:00

Can you determine how strong your signal is? If it does it every where something is failing. Sounds like it is heating up and then it fades away. Do you have a exteral wireless adapter? You can rule out the nic card than. Find out where the weak link.

42 Posts

November 30th, 2009 19:00

It doesn't matter whether I'm using a wired or wireless connection.  I work in two separate offices (separate cities as well) - plus home (third city).  It baffles me entirely as it happens with whatever connection I use.

295 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 21:00

That rules out most of the hardware issues probally. Go to administratrive tools in control panel and use the event viewer. Check around in there and you will find some errors that are related to the issue. Do not remember where at exactly.Have to go. Good luck. Let me know if I can help

42 Posts

December 9th, 2009 07:00

Thanks . . . I will do that.  I wasn't sure where to look for error events or a log and that is a great help.  I'll post when I've got something concrete to report or I figure it out.

42 Posts

February 4th, 2010 19:00

Finally discovered the problem!  It turns out that for some reason Zone Alarm was causing issues with my internet connection.  I haven't had this happen on any computer, but after switching to COMODO Internet Security, no connection problems!  I'm still leaving the others on Zone Alarm but this one works so Zone Alarm is gone.  I can't believe that's all it was after all of this time.

No Events found!