Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

December 25th, 2006 22:00

Invalid IP address

Running an Inspiron 1501 laptop which I just got today, it has inbuilt wireless which found my router without a problem however I just can't get it to connect to the internet as there is an invalid IP address (0.0.0.0). My computer for some reason does not see this as an issue and is therefore doing very little to address the problem.
If I click 'repair wireless connection' it either fails to connect to the network or more commonly tries to renew the IP address and after about 10 minutes fails miserably.

Anyone got any ideas how I can get a valid IP address?

Thanks and happy Christmas : )

28K Posts

December 25th, 2006 22:00

See if the following helps:

Steve

28K Posts

December 25th, 2006 23:00

Which wireless network adapter is installed in that machine?  Which make and model router do you have? 

Steve

8 Posts

The 1501's using the in built Dell wireless 1490 dual band WLAN minicard and the router is an Orange Livebox-AD50...

8 Posts

Well the second symptom listed in that article was applicable but I've done everything on the list and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. Though my wireless is still giving me an invalid (0.0.0.0) IP address.
It seems it is only a wireless problem though as if I connect to the same router using a cable I can connect to the internet fine with no IP problems.

Would ask if it was a problem with the router but there are another couple of computers connected to it through wireless no problem.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thankyou.

8 Posts

December 26th, 2006 00:00

Heh, well my cable connection has decided suddenly to go down with this invalid IP thing too so I can't check if his advice works until I get that sorted (though judgeing from experiance it should be easier to fix than the wireless). But it does sound like the same problem.
Thanks for all your help and for finding that post for me :) If I have any more problems I'll get in touch with those guys.

28K Posts

December 26th, 2006 00:00

That router does not exist here in the U.S., so I have to rely on messages from other users who have them.   There have been lots of problems reported with Livebox and recent Dell wireless cards.   A forum search might help you if the following post doesn't:

Steve

12K Posts

December 26th, 2006 05:00

Sounds like the two are probably related.

8 Posts

December 26th, 2006 15:00

Most probably. All's working now though, so thanks again guys.

5 Posts

December 26th, 2006 20:00

Newbie here.  i have a Inspiron B130 (about 7 months now), seems that I am connected to my network but the status is Limited or no connectivity.  I have read other threads and did what was told.  My internet explorer still says cannot display page. 

I have a linksys router.  My other computer and labtop connect except my Dell.  Frustrating.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  

12K Posts

December 27th, 2006 06:00

Just exactly did you try?

Please post the resuls of an ipconifg /all and how are you connecting (wired or wireless)?

5 Posts

December 27th, 2006 12:00

First, thank you for the reply.  

I have tried the ipconfig, re-installed my router, deleted and add my network on the Dell.  Still no luck  This is the only labtop that will not work. 

It says it is conncected, but the STATUS on the Dell Utility says Gateway IP address not available and stutus says limited or no connectivity.

Please help.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Joseph>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SCHWENERJR

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected