Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2010 16:00

Invalid Service Tag issues!!

Am having great difficulty getting my service tag recognised online or by the call centre. Have called numerous times only to be told my service tag is invalid. Have tried to explain that this is the issue but getting no where? Anyone who can prevent me bashing my brain against the brick wall please help?? Just worried becasue i am having dvd drive issues just 5 days in and without the service tag i seem to be screwed?? Any Help??

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 12th, 2010 16:00

Hi, criswaller:

You seem to have landed in the networking forum, but it seems you have a DVD drive issue. I'll be happy to help if you can describe the problem you are having.

Regarding the service tag, have you tried registering your system on the Dell support site? One suggestion I can make. Go to the support site and click either technical support or downloads. You'll be prompted to allow the site to automatically read your service tag. Try that and see if the number can be read.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2010 10:00

Hi Osprey

Thanks for the reply and offer of assistance

During dvd playback every ten minutes or so the picture freezes or jumps and the audio track continues uninterrupted. During these patches the drive spins up and makes a large amount of noise as if struggling to read the discs. I have tried numerous dvds and numerous programs to playback with and the problem is always the same. Could it be my drive needs a cleaner and are these available for laptops?

My only worry is that this is a brand new computer and i have no recognisable customer number or service tag according to Dell so i cant get any help with this problem.

Is there any other way I can contact dell support direct via email (bearing in mind that the support site needs your service tag to do anything) instead of having to speak to numerous people on the phone who seem baffled by my problem?

As for the registration i read thru the form and it only seems to apply if you bought your computer from an external retailer (BestBuy / Cost Co). I ran the automatic service tag checker and looked in BIOS  and both bring back the same number as in on my computer and on the box.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my cry for help and i hope to hear from you soon.

Chris

1 Message

March 7th, 2020 13:00

Having the exact same issue, my laptop, purchased on 2/3 directly from Dell, has a problem and I have now called different Dell service numbers for the last two hours, only to always land in some Kalkutta call center whose people cannot get past the fact that neither the service tag nor the express code work. the online detector cannot identify the laptop either. There does not seem to be anybody who can help. Super frustrating, last time I buy Dell

No Events found!