Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2012 15:00

Is DELL 1510 N WLAN Mini card compatible with W8?

I installed W8 on my Dell Studio 1735 computer. Wireless Internet access is very very slow. I have not this problem with W7 on the same computer. I tried it with an external Network cable. Very fast, 50mbps. I also tried it with an external USB Belkin wifi adaptor. It works fine. Computer has a Dell Wireless 1500 N WLAN Mini Card. Driver version:5.100.245.20 Date 2012-03-13. I cannot find any better driver.

I have one more problem that I don't have with W7.  I cannot rate the computer. The Windows experience index cannot go past the test of Direct3D 10 Texture Load Assesment.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

24 Posts

November 9th, 2012 16:00

@omehenk

I'm confused - did the direct X 2010 patch as recommended by SpeedStep solve your wifi issue?

Or did the Win 7 Driver recommended by stevekesler solve your issue?

The direct X is marked as a potential solution, but I'm not sure how that is relative to Win 8 and slow wifi issue

24 Posts

November 9th, 2012 16:00

@berlion,

I ran the Windows Experience Index under Windows 8 and it ran fine (rating 4.1).  I believe this is similar to the Win 7 rating.

I am using a Dell Studio One (1909) All-in-One unit.  Video is Geforce 9400.   I replaced the hard drive with a SSD and clean installed W8.  It is very responsive (shut down <10 secs, boot-up <15secs) 

I would check your video driver and maybe check NVidia or ATI for an Win8 driver.

8 Posts

November 11th, 2012 19:00

Stevekesler,

Your scores are pretty good. My studio is one year older and I can only get a poor 3.2 with Windows 7. This is of course the lower, Desktop Graphics Performance value. Other values are over five. As the computer's performance with Windows 8 is more than satisfactory I will not bother with the Windows Experience Index.

Thanks for your help.

2 Posts

November 13th, 2012 08:00

i am french. i love you. that is ok now for me.

16 Posts

December 9th, 2012 11:00

stevekesler,

Want to add my thanks to you.  Your fix also solved my slow transfer rate on my Dell Studio 1537 with the Dell 1510 wifi adapter, running Windows 8 (clean install).  Youtube video playback using the Win8 installed driver would keep pausing even on the lowest resolution videos.  After replacing the driver, Youtube video playback of even 1080p videos are smooth.

Thanks a bunch man!

Skyzoomer

3 Posts

December 13th, 2012 06:00

Hi, I installed windows 8 on my Dell Inspiron N5010(clean install),

I am not able to understand this " you can point Windows 8 driver change/update utility ('Have Disk') to that directory - 'Drivers/Win7/WL' and select the bcmwl6.inf to install a driver (Broadcom v.5.100.235.12)"

Please make it clear I am having a problem with WLAN card.

10 Posts

December 15th, 2012 13:00

Sorry please remove this post.

5 Posts

December 16th, 2012 05:00

Hi, could you please step by step on how to install the WLAN driver on dell Inspiron 1510N??

I don't understand this " you can point Windows 8 driver change/update utility ('Have Disk') to that directory - 'Drivers/Win7/WL' and select the bcmwl6.inf to install a driver (Broadcom v.5.100.235.12)"

Please make it clear I am having a problem with WLAN card.

5 Posts

December 16th, 2012 05:00

Hi, could you please explain step by step on how to install the WLAN driver on dell Inspiron 1510N??

10 Posts

December 16th, 2012 14:00

Hey Reddy139

I've fixed my problem thanks to "stevekesler" I've N5010 with Win 8 Pro installed too, use this steps to fix yours:

1- Download the driver "stevekesler" presented: www.dell.com/.../precision-m4500

2- After download Run the installer "As Administrator" select "Extract Without Installing ...>" and extract it to a new folder in any location.

3- Go to Device Manager by right clicking the Start Menu shortcut that appears when you move your mouse to the Down/Left corner on your screen, and press "Device Manager".

4- Now under "Network Adapters" right click your old WLAN driver, and choose the following in this order:

"Update driver software" > "Browse my computer for driver software" > "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" > Press "Have a Disk" > Click "Browse".

5- Now go to the folder that you've extracted the driver files in. and go to:

Drivers > Win7 > WL > Choose the file: "bcmwl6" and click "Open" > "OK" > "Next" > wait for the driver to install then press "Close", and that's it. you should have your speed back to normal, even without a computer restart.

Please tell me when you are done, Regards.

3 Posts

December 16th, 2012 21:00

But I don't see any such driver under network adapter, I installed Win8(Clean Install).

Therefore no such driver exists in device manager. please suggest some other thing....

10 Posts

December 17th, 2012 00:00

What's under "Network Adapters" in your Device manager?

10 Posts

December 17th, 2012 02:00

@AKanee:

You have to update the driver called "Broadcom 802.11n network adapter" as Reddy139 did.

just go on with the previous steps from step #4

@Reddy139:

If your driver name is: "DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card" under Network Adapters, then you should have the problem fixed just like what I did. and I haven't faced any issues since I installed this driver on my N5010.

Thanks goes to "stevekesler" without him I would still be searching for a fix till now :)

5 Posts

Hi,

Thanx a ton for the steps that went smooth, but i have a doubt,

I just updated the Broadcom 802.11n network adapter, with the Dell DW1501, will that have any issues???

3 Posts

Hi AMRDYS,

this is the list of drivers I see under the network adapter in Device manager:

1.Bluetooth Device(Personal area network)

2.Bluetooth device(REFCOMM Protocol TDI)

3. Broadcom 802.11n network adapter

4.Microsoft kernel debug network adapter

5.Realtek PCIe FE family controller

No Events found!