Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2015 16:00

Is there a part name or number for a wireless access PCI adapter card for an Inspiron 660 PC (2013)?

My Ethernet networking no longer works for my 2-year old Inspiron 660 desktop PC.  I can't get on the internet with the PC.  Since it is connected to the mother board as one unit, I'll need an alternative approach to connect through WiFi to my router.  Have been searching for a WiFi adapter for it without any luck.  Does anyone have the same problem?  Knows a Dell part or third party card that could fit and does the job?

Thanks,

Frank

1.8K Posts

October 12th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

The Inspiron 660 had the option, at time of sale, for the Intel 2230 or Dell DW1506 wireless cards, so if you're looking for wireless options I would recommend those two cards.  That way the drivers would be available on our support pages for you.  

Here is a link to the online copy of the User Manual for the Inspiron 660 desktop.  (I linked the Inspiron 660 for you but make sure you don't have the 660s, the "slim" version of that system.  The steps to replace the wireless card would be slightly different for the smaller version).

Instructions on installing the mini-card begin on page 39 of the user manual I linked. It's not very difficult to do but please do make sure you read, and follow the directions, of the section "Before you begin" and other safety instructions in that manual.  You are dealing with sensitive electronics when working inside your computer.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help however I can.

Todd

2 Posts

October 13th, 2015 10:00

Hi Todd,

Thank you for your detailed reply.  I am trying an alternative solution, which is a USB-Ethernet adapter connecting my Ethernet plug to the adopter to an USB port of my desktop.  I just ordered the part and waiting for it to come in.  Don't know if it needs a driver.  This solution is rather simply and doesn't require opening up the desktop.  Hope it works.  If not,  I'll order the wireless card as you mentioned.

Frank

No Events found!