Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 27th, 2008 13:00

Laptop connected to router, but no internet connection

Hi all, hope someone can help with this little gem........

The laptop in question is a Latitude c840, P4 2GHZ
40gb HDD
512mb RAM
15" Screen (1600x1200  )
Onboard LAN & Modem
CDRW/DVD combo

win xp pro 

The problem i am having is getting an internet connection on my existing home network.

The modem router is a zyxel, and have other laptops and a desktop connected to it fine (all wireless).

The Dell connects to the router fine (via cable at the moment) and i can get into the router control panel, but it just won't connect to any web pages. My other laptops both work fine on the ethernet cable and wireless.

Firewall is turned off, and i've tried IE & Firefox with no luck.

Auto detect settings for LAN etc have been checked and unchecked, dns of 192.168.1.1 have been put in along with the subnet mask and still nothing!

Any cunning plans to get me online ?!  

28K Posts

June 27th, 2008 13:00

As a troubleshooting step, boot into Safe Mode with Network Support and see if you can get online.  If you can can, then it tells you that something running from Normal Mode startup is causing the problem and you can then take steps to properly configure or eliminate the problem program.

Steve

June 27th, 2008 19:00

Problem with the gateway

it is not giving you the proper dns

you can open the lan or wirless and you can manually enter  ip and  gate way and your

ISP dns server then it should work

then you can work and check in proxy setting if some invalid data is not there try to default this .......

2 Posts

June 30th, 2008 09:00

Cheers guys.

Sort of went down another route and bought a cheapo Belkin wireless card and all is fine now.

Thanks for the suggestions  

No Events found!