Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2015 20:00

Laptop won't load certain webpages (time out error) but does load Facebook, Gmail, Google Drive. Why is this happening and how can it be fixed?

A laptop on my wireless connection can load Facebook, Gmail, Drive and probably some other sites. Most of the other sites I frequent like Google, Yahoo, Cracked, Weather.com---they all don't load. I can type something into the Chrome search bar and the Google results will come up but I cannot visit google.com. They all just time out after about 30 seconds but FB, Gmail and Drive load perfectly fine. 

This happens in both IE and Chrome and is only on that one laptop- I am on my other laptop posting this (and am using the same internet network). This website wouldn't load on my other one. All of the other devices on the network can load all webpages normally so I am pretty sure this is a laptop issue and not an Internet issue. This problem has been going on for at least 3 days.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series running Windows 8. 

What can I do to fix this problem? Thanks!

1.8K Posts

October 5th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

That's interesting.  What security software (if any) are you using?   Have you checked to see if your security software is marking those sites as harmful by any chance?   If it's the same sites in multiple browsers then some setting on the PC is blocking the sites.  (If you're able to get out to the internet at all then it's obviously not a hardware issue).

Have you tried restoring your system to a previous date / time prior to this happening, since it was only 3 days ago?

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. ...
  2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.
  3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

What about clearing your internet cache and temp files?

Clearing the cache
  1. Open Internet Explorer.
  2. IE 8: From the Tools menu choose Internet Options. ...
  3. On the General tab, under Browsing history, click Delete.
  4. Un-check the Preserve Favorites website data box.
  5. Check the Temporary Internet files, Cookies, and History boxes.

The restore point is what I would try first.   Clearing temp internet files, cookies, history, etc (in all your browsers) would be second, and checking security software would be 3rd.   (I would also highly recommend running a virus scan as well.)

Let me know how this goes and if anything helps.  if not, I'll see what else I can think of that might help you out.

Todd

1 Message

October 15th, 2019 06:00

I have the same issue with my XPS. I spent a week playing around with it. Then I took it to Micro Center, and it worked fine. Brought it back to the office, and it's doing the same thing.

No Events found!