Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2010 21:00

Laptop wont get internet... Help Me!!!

Hi, Im Justin and about a month ago i turned on my computer and before it could start up a screen came up and said that windows could not start up because it was missing a file or that file was corrupted. It said to put in the original install disk to repair it. Well i bought this computer through a private owner and didnt have the original disks that came with the computer. Although i do have a desktop that i bought from dell and have the original disks for that. The same windows XP. After much thinking about it i finally caved in and ran the disk for my desktop on my laptop. It repaired my laptop to start up but all my files were gone and everything was to factory settings... Then I was mad, now I have coped with it. My problem now is that i can not connect to the internet. I have tried everything i can think of but im not to smart with computers. The wireless network connection is completely gone from my computer and i havent even been able to get the internet when i plug directly to the internet. Any suggestions on how i may fix my laptop would be great. It is a Dell Inspiron e1705 if that makes a difference and uses Windows XP from an older desktop. Thank you so much for any help you can bring me!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2010 01:00

jaymarsh85,

You'll still need to install these drivers in order.

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first(if applicable), then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

2 Posts

February 4th, 2010 20:00

Thank you Rick for the help. But I dont have any of the origanal disks to this laptop and when i plug the laptop staight into the internet it doesn't connect... If you know another way to get these downloads on my laptop after jumping those hurdles that would be amazing!

Thanks for the help,

Justin

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 5th, 2010 02:00

Justin,

Download them to the computer you're using now. Burn the drivers to a disk.

Also, if you're the owner of the laptop and live in the United States, click below my signature and request a backup set of disks. You need to install the desktop/notebook utility first and the chipset drivers and everything else will install as you install it.

Rick

No Events found!